• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Criminal Non-Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

devon1022

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

How do I go about filing criminal non-support charges against a dead beat father who refuses to pay child support? He has admitted under oath that he works "under the table."

seniorjudge

devon1022 said:
What is the name of your state? New Jersey

How do I go about filing criminal non-support charges against a dead beat father who refuses to pay child support? He has admitted under oath that he works "under the table."
I am assuming there has been a judgment establishing paternity and child support (divorce or whatever).

Talk to the prosecuting attorney in your county; there is a child support group in that office.

If not, then talk to the child support enforcement people in your state.

They have their ways of finding out stuff.

http://www.njchildsupport.org/

http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/probchild/

devon1022

Paternity was established when child was about 2 months old. Child support was ordered at the same time. However, in 9 years time this "man" has constantly refused to do anything that has been court ordered for him to do. He is $25,000.00 in arrears. Child Support Enforcement won't help me. I can never get anyone to call me back. It's ridiculous.

seniorjudge

devon1022 said:
Paternity was established when child was about 2 months old. Child support was ordered at the same time. However, in 9 years time this "man" has constantly refused to do anything that has been court ordered for him to do. He is $25,000.00 in arrears. Child Support Enforcement won't help me. I can never get anyone to call me back. It's ridiculous.
Go camp out in the office of the child support enforcement people.

Kane

I don't know about NJ, but around here the child support people are tremendously overwhelmed and understaffed. They DO regularly put people in jail for failing to pay child support, though, usually for six months at a time. They'll try to put him on work release if he has a job (and maybe even if he doesn't) to try to squeeze some money out of him while he's serving his time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">