• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reduced ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bdo

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Virginia

I was in an accident where my foot slipped from the brake to the gas and I hit two people in stop/go traffic. The officer called it reckless driving which I don't agree with. I've been googling all around and can't seem to find what I'm looking for -- maybe someone here can help me.
I need to get the reckless driving ticket reduced but I'm not sure all the different things that fall 'under' reckless driving. Can someone list a few that seem to match the description of my accident and their definitions?

Thanks in advance.

seniorjudge

bdo said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Virginia

I was in an accident where my foot slipped from the brake to the gas and I hit two people in stop/go traffic. The officer called it reckless driving which I don't agree with. I've been googling all around and can't seem to find what I'm looking for -- maybe someone here can help me.
I need to get the reckless driving ticket reduced but I'm not sure all the different things that fall 'under' reckless driving. Can someone list a few that seem to match the description of my accident and their definitions?

Thanks in advance.
Maybe I can help. Here is a very good definition of reckless driving:

I was in an accident where my foot slipped from the brake to the gas and I hit two people in stop/go traffic.

bdo

Alright, thanks for your opinion. I've looked up some definitions of reckless driving and all imply the person correctly charged with it were intentionally operating their vehicle in a dangerous manner. This is obviously not the case in my situation.

However, I don't want to argue about the definition of reckless driving. I would simply like to know different charges that fall under reckless driving. I would appreciate it if someone could answer that question.

seniorjudge

bdo said:
Alright, thanks for your opinion. I've looked up some definitions of reckless driving and all imply the person correctly charged with it were intentionally operating their vehicle in a dangerous manner. This is obviously not the case in my situation.

However, I don't want to argue about the definition of reckless driving. I would simply like to know different charges that fall under reckless driving. I would appreciate it if someone could answer that question.
You intend the natural and probable consequences of your own actions.

In any event, tell me the statute number(s) you were charged under.

bdo

The ticket says: Law Section 82-1-6 (46.2-852)
It's pretty messy handwriting if that doesn't match up to something..

Last edited:

seniorjudge

bdo said:
The ticket says: Law Section 82-1-6 (46.2-852)
It's pretty messy handwriting if that doesn't match up to something..
46.2-852. Reckless driving; general rule.

Irrespective of the maximum speeds permitted by law, any person who drives a vehicle on any highway recklessly or at a speed or in a manner so as to endanger the life, limb, or property of any person shall be guilty of reckless driving.

46.2-113. Violations of this title; penalties.

It shall be unlawful for any person to violate any of the provisions of this title, or any regulation adopted pursuant to this title, or local ordinances adopted pursuant to the authority granted in � 46.2-1300. Unless otherwise stated, these violations shall constitute traffic infractions punishable by a fine of not more than that provided for a Class 4 misdemeanor under � 18.2-11.

If it is found by the judge of a court of proper jurisdiction that the violation of any provision of this title (i) was a serious traffic violation as defined in � 46.2-341.20 and (ii) that such violation was committed while operating a vehicle or combination of vehicles used to transport property that either: (a) has a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 or more pounds or (b) has a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 or more pounds inclusive of a towed vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 pounds, the judge may assess, in addition to any other penalty assessed, a further monetary penalty not exceeding $500.

18.2-11. Punishment for conviction of misdemeanor.

The authorized punishments for conviction of a misdemeanor are:

(a) For Class 1 misdemeanors, confinement in jail for not more than twelve months and a fine of not more than $2,500, either or both.

(b) For Class 2 misdemeanors, confinement in jail for not more than six months and a fine of not more than $1,000, either or both.

(c) For Class 3 misdemeanors, a fine of not more than $500.

(d) For Class 4 misdemeanors, a fine of not more than $250.

For a misdemeanor offense prohibiting proximity to children as described in subsection A of � 18.2-370.2, the sentencing court is authorized to impose the punishment set forth in subsection B of that section in addition to any other penalty provided by law.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-11

etc

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">