• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

At-Will Employment Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

autoinsny

What is the name of your state?New York
I have been employed with the same large corporation for the past 12 years. Although I do not have an employment contract, and my employment is considered an At-will agreement, I was under the impression that I could not be terminated without cause. I was given this impression because the employee handbooks throughout the years have been specific in outlining adverse actions to be taken if guidelines or goals are not met. I always felt this constituted an Implied contract and therefore was an exception to the At-will agreement. We have now been provided a new policy handbook which states that I understand that my employment can be terminated at any time, with or without notice and with or without cause. We have been advised that we must sign this agreement. (It seeems like we are being set up for some changes).
After 12 years with what I thought was my agreement (I wouldn't be fired without cause) I am told I must now agree that I can be fired without any reason at all. What are my options? What action can my employer take if I refuse to sign this agreement?

BelizeBreeze

autoinsny said:
What is the name of your state?New York
I have been employed with the same large corporation for the past 12 years. Although I do not have an employment contract, and my employment is considered an At-will agreement, I was under the impression that I could not be terminated without cause.
And your impression is wrong.
I was given this impression because the employee handbooks throughout the years have been specific in outlining adverse actions to be taken if guidelines or goals are not met. I always felt this constituted an Implied contract and therefore was an exception to the At-will agreement.
And if you have about $10,000 you can let a court decide that issue.
We have now been provided a new policy handbook which states that I understand that my employment can be terminated at any time, with or without notice and with or without cause. We have been advised that we must sign this agreement. (It seeems like we are being set up for some changes).
It would seem to me that the company is simply clarifying their position.
After 12 years with what I thought was my agreement (I wouldn't be fired without cause) I am told I must now agree that I can be fired without any reason at all. What are my options? What action can my employer take if I refuse to sign this agreement?
They can fire you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">