• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding ticket in NY.. Licensed in GA..Please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sashokraj

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? GA

Hi,

I received a ticket in New York for doing 77 mph in a 50 mph zone. Some of my friends told me to plead ' NOT GUILTY' as it may help in reducing the points. I do not know if I will have to go to NY court only. Then, I have to spend more money in travel than fine. Also, I am going out of country in January 2006. So, I am very confused on what to do.

1) Can any of you suggest if it is a good idea to plead 'not guilty'?
2) Does GA collect the points from NY?

Thanks in advance.

seniorjudge

1) Can any of you suggest if it is a good idea to plead 'not guilty'?

A: It is if you want to go to New York to have a trial.

2) Does GA collect the points from NY?

A: Yes.

Tecie

You can plead not guilty, the state of New York will send information regarding Location of court and a ph # to contact the DA in the town you received the citation. If you call the DA's office they may allow you to mail in a written statement in liew of a court appearance. It's worked for me before. They may not totally wipe the ticket off your record (depending on your explanation) but you can probably get the points and fine reduced.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">