• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Layed off - Train replacement or lose severance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

redx90

What is the name of your state? CA

Due to a company merger, my whole building is being shut down and all employees laid off. Severance is offered but with the stipulation that we stay until building closes down. I have been asked to set up and train the staff at the facility that is taking over. If I refuse to do so, can they legally withhold my severance? I realize severance is not a gaurranteed thing but am I legally bound to have to train someone taking my position?..and can they legally hold my severance in this way. Nothing has been in writing yet aside from an email I have from our H/R dept roughly stating what the severance package consists of.

Beth3

If I refuse to do so, can they legally withhold my severance? Sure.

I realize severance is not a gaurranteed thing but am I legally bound to have to train someone taking my position? You're not legally bound to do anything.

..and can they legally hold my severance in this way. Yes. If your employer wants to make severance conditional on your training your replacement, they can.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">