• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-Compete Agreement and Restraint of trade

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CarlJ

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?NJ
I left a company with which I had signed a non-compete agreement. I believe this agreement to be null and void. After leaving the first company I started my own company providing engineering services.

Through the course of Business I met a couple other ex-employees of the first company with similar ideas.
While we have discussed options available to us, we have not joined together in any legal manner.

We met with a competitor of the first company (Co.2) to discuss some ideas that they had about what they could do with our services and /or the possibility of hiring me full time.

When that meeting was discovered, we were sent cease and desist letters which I responded to asking for more information and that I felt I was not in violation of the non-compete.

Recently it has been learned that Co.2 plans to hire another ex-employee of company 1 that was much higher on the food chain than I.

Co. 2 contacted Co. 1 for permission to hire the other ex-employee because he also signed the non-compete agreement.
Co 1 told Co.2 that they could hire the ex-employee as long as they signed a contract stating that they would not work/hire me or the other two people I was considering working with. This contract would also effectively extend my non-compete by a yr.

Is it legal for Co.1 to use us as bait by allowing an employee that they are not concerned about break his non-compete while shackling us even further?
Is this also not a restraint of trade issue due to the business we were trying to develop?
Thanks for your help

seniorjudge

CarlJ said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?NJ
I left a company with which I had signed a non-compete agreement. I believe this agreement to be null and void. After leaving the first company I started my own company providing engineering services.

Through the course of Business I met a couple other ex-employees of the first company with similar ideas.
While we have discussed options available to us, we have not joined together in any legal manner.

We met with a competitor of the first company (Co.2) to discuss some ideas that they had about what they could do with our services and /or the possibility of hiring me full time.

When that meeting was discovered, we were sent cease and desist letters which I responded to asking for more information and that I felt I was not in violation of the non-compete.

Recently it has been learned that Co.2 plans to hire another ex-employee of company 1 that was much higher on the food chain than I.

Co. 2 contacted Co. 1 for permission to hire the other ex-employee because he also signed the non-compete agreement.
Co 1 told Co.2 that they could hire the ex-employee as long as they signed a contract stating that they would not work/hire me or the other two people I was considering working with. This contract would also effectively extend my non-compete by a yr.

Is it legal for Co.1 to use us as bait by allowing an employee that they are not concerned about break his non-compete while shackling us even further?
Is this also not a restraint of trade issue due to the business we were trying to develop?
Thanks for your help

Q: Is it legal for Co.1 to use us as bait by allowing an employee that they are not concerned about break his non-compete while shackling us even further?

A: Yes.

Q: Is this also not a restraint of trade issue due to the business we were trying to develop?

A: Yes. It could be legal but since we don't know what the agreement says, we will suspend judgment on that point.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">