• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bicycle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BoomGaspar

What is the name of your state?
Michigan

I purchased a bicycle a few months ago from a friend and have been using it to get around a college campus. Today, a police officer came to my door and informed me that the bike was identified by a parent as one that was stolen from his daughter. I'm more than willing to give the bike back to its original owner. Am I required to tell the officer where I bought it? And if so, am I responsible for providing contact information for that person?

BoomGaspar

If I give the name, am I required to also give contact information (ie phone number) for that person? What if I honestly don't have that information, or the information that I have is inaccurate/out of date?

Leinalani

BoomGaspar said:
If I give the name, am I required to also give contact information (ie phone number) for that person? What if I honestly don't have that information, or the information that I have is inaccurate/out of date?
Just give them whatever you can. Why are you covering for this person?

BoomGaspar

I guess the main concern I have is if I give the officer the contact information I have, and that information proves to be either inaccurate or out-of-date, will the police come back to me looking for more information or another way to contact the individual in question?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">