• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Management and Human Resource Issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tl9miller

What is the name of your state? PA

A co-worker of mine was having some problems with my work that I do. He has gone as far as defaming me by talking to the marketing manager who I do not work directly for but volunteered to help with projects in hopes that I may some day be moved to the marketing department on a full time basis. He made some false claims by saying I do not do any work and that I am lazy. I can pull reports from our system to show these false accusations. I presented these issues to my manager who has done nothing. I then presented the issues to my human resource rep. I went on to write an email to the marketing manager to assure him I am willing and able to do work for him despite what he was told. I copied my manager and blind copied my human resource rep on the letter. I went on to find out from a co-worker of mine that the human resource rep sent the letter to the president of the company. The individual who has made false claims has since been promoted to assistant manager of the department. My biggest concern is that the human resource rep told my co-workers about my concerns and actions I have taken. I thought human resources was to be confidential. I am in a position where management does not take anything seriously or hold concerns confidential. Apparently there is a lot of outside the work gossip going on at barrooms where the decisions get made. The human resource rep, my manager, and the individual that made the false claims and received the promotion all like to go out together and kick a few back. I feel that I have few options and directions to turn. Is there anything that can be done. Does the fact taht human resources breeched confidentiality mean anything in this case?

Beth3

Does the fact taht human resources breeched confidentiality mean anything in this case? No, because no laws obligate them to this confidential.

Nothing you describe indicates anything illegal has taken place nor that you have been defamed. Your co-worker is entitled to voice his or her opinion on your job performance to members of management. If it's become apparent that you're not going to get ahead where you are, then your recourse is to find the opportunity you're seeking with another employer. Good luck.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You're proceeding from a false assumption, which is that HR has an obligation to keep everything that is said to anyone there confidential. That is not the case. In fact, HR cannot do their jobs without passing on information that they receive. How do you expect them to do investigations without talking to people?

You sent HR a letter which indicated that you had a problem with a co-worker and a manager. What did you expect them to do with it? Just put it into your file? Or take some action to solve your problem? If so, how did you expect them to do it without discussing it with someone who was in a position to help you?

I'm not yelling at you, but I am confused at the expectations people have of HR sometimes.

Last edited:

tl9miller

I agree, they should investigate, but they did not. They simply told an equal co-worker of mine what has happened. That co-worker has been let go due to downsizing since then. The human resource rep knew the person was being let go, but decided to give tell them my information.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Without knowing more details, I can't comment on whether what they did was or was not unprofessional. I can tell you that no laws were violated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">