• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Class A Misdemeanor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrsprocessor

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I too had a returned check for insufficient funds back in 1998. I received a notice from the courthouse advising I needed to contact them immediately. The very next day after I got the notice I went and paid for the check and the court cost. I never appeared in front of a judge or anything. I asked if that was it and was told yes. I went on about my life never getting into a situation like that again. In 2003 I applied for a job at a bank and was advised that I had a felony charge on my crimminal report. I was in shock that the return check issue appeared on my crimminal report. I have never been in trouble with the law at all. I even worked for this bank before and they hired me and then advised me that they would have to withdraw the offer due to the results of my crimminal report. How long will this stay on my record and can I have it removed. It is keeping me from getting the job I want. Not to mention it's embarrassing. Please help!

seniorjudge

mrsprocessor said:
What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I too had a returned check for insufficient funds back in 1998. I received a notice from the courthouse advising I needed to contact them immediately. The very next day after I got the notice I went and paid for the check and the court cost. I never appeared in front of a judge or anything. I asked if that was it and was told yes. I went on about my life never getting into a situation like that again. In 2003 I applied for a job at a bank and was advised that I had a felony charge on my crimminal report. I was in shock that the return check issue appeared on my crimminal report. I have never been in trouble with the law at all. I even worked for this bank before and they hired me and then advised me that they would have to withdraw the offer due to the results of my crimminal report. How long will this stay on my record and can I have it removed. It is keeping me from getting the job I want. Not to mention it's embarrassing. Please help!

Expungement/pardon

There are several thousand questions on this forum similar to yours. Thus, I have prepared a standard answer.

Standard answer: Expungement is generally granted for illegal arrests or unlawful convictions. Generally, pardons mean you are forgiven for the crime but it remains on your record.

Check with the governor or attorney general of your state to see how you can go about either of these procedures. Check with the Attorney General or the President for federal expungement or pardon.

You must remember that there may be private background check companies that have past offenses on their databases; those reports will never be expunged.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=848776#post848776

Stand by...others may offer more advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">