• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Identity Theft by brother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

My boyfriend and I went to Wachovia today so he could open an account there and change banks... when he agve the woman his social security number she said that he had opened an account already and had overdrawn $195.00. She gave him the date it was opened and it turned out that it was during the time that he was in California in the military.

On the way home he told me that when he left for the military his brother had stolen his social security card and drivers license (he and his brother look ALOT alike). He didn't realize his brother had stolen anything (he thought he had lost them and got a new driver's license) until he got out of the military and came back to North Carolina to find his credit ruined. It turns out that while he was gone his brother had opened several bank accounts and overdrawn on all of them and got few credit cards and never paid them off, all using my boyfriends identity.
right now his brother is in prison for doing the same thing to his mother.
So he wanted me to find out if there is any legal action he can take against him to try to get at least the bank overdraws taken care of.

gawm

He will probably have to press charges on his brother for the banks to take him seriously

ok. he'll do that. is there anyway to find out which banks there are accounts in his name at? this didn;t show up on his credit report and it was in 1999.

Which credit report did you get? 3 in 1 or a single report? My advice would be check out the link below and get a 3 in 1 from Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion and if there are any delinquent, derogatory, bankruptcies, charge-offs, and/or collection accounts listed they should have more detail.

3 in 1 Report

Or to contact the bureaus
For copies of your credit reports, you may contact the three credit bureaus directly. You will be required to send them information to access your credit file. Additionally, depending on your state of residence, there may be a fee to access your credit report.

Equifax, Inc
1-800-685-1111
www.equifax.com

Experian National Consumer Assistance Center
1-888-EXPERIAN (1-888-397-3742)
www.experian.com

TransUnion Consumer Disclosure Center
1-800-888-4213
www.transunion.com

Last edited:
he got the free credit report that is provided to NC residents once per year through equifax. also, when he bought his car they told him there was nothing on his credit... which is weird because in march 2005 we got cell phones and i had to get them in my name becuase his credit was so bad he was going to have a $500.00 deposit where mine was only $125 and I had no credit at all. He will definantly be pressing charges though, but i'm sure we would have to find out which banks and credit cards his brother did this with first, unless the police could do that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">