• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

countryangelz

What is the name of your state? Ohio

In Ohio, can an employee of a business be terminated for taking off work when a child is born? Our son was born recently, and my husband was terminated from his job for taking the time off to care for our other children when our babysitter backed out at the last minute. He took off one week and had called to let them know he would be back the following Monday, but they never even called to say he was terminated. They simply just never came to pick him up and we received his last paycheck & a letter stating he had been terminated later the following week.

Thanks
Beth

Michael_NY

I would think that your husband should have been eligible to take this time under FMLA regulations, but he might have been required to fill out some paperwork with his HR department. The time off might also have been without pay if he did not have available vacation or sick time.

However, I am not an HR professional or expert in FMLA so there are probably loopholes that can be used against you. Good luck.

pattytx

The FMLA does provide for leave when a spouse gives birth. However, it does not provide leave for child care because the main caregiver is not available. Even so, does you husband know if the employer is subject to FMLA and, if so, does he qualify?

1. Does the employer have at least 50 employees at his worksite or within a 75-mile radius?

2. Has he worked for this employer at least 12 months?

3. Has he worked at least 1,250 hours in the last 12 months?

4. Has he taken any other time off that might be covered under FMLA in the last 12 months?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">