• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Whistleblower???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yeut47

What is the name of your state? OH-IO

(Ohio) I currently work at a bar in Columbus (second job). I am aware firsthand of many illegal acts by management, ie, indoor smoking, health code violations, liquor control violations, etc. It pays well, so I want to keep the job, if possible.

-How would I go about complaining about these? I can assure you that I will be fired if I complain to management. I want to do it right, to get these despicable acts changed.

-At what point would I actually go ahead and complain to the proper authorities? I am willing to do this, but want to know how to (properly, if I am fired and if I am not fired).

-I have looked at ORC 4113.52. Keeping the baove in mind, how would this help me?

(Any cites would be helpful) Thanks.

pattytx

It is a violation of public policy, even without a "whistleblower" law, for an employer to fire an employee because they reported violations of law to the proper outside governing authority. You may want to seek the advice of a local attorney versed in employment law, however, because, if you ARE in fact terminated because of this reporting, your only recourse would be a wrongful termination suit in civil court, for which you would need an attorney anyway.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm not in a position to check for Ohio just now, and from what I know of Ohio laws I doubt this is the case in your state (though occasionally it surprises me). But in some states you are not protected by state whistleblower laws unless you go through management first and give the company time to make corrections.

By all means check with a local attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">