• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mechanical work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

smacky_cl

I recently had a new clutch replaced in my vehicle, and in the process of replacing the clutch they mechanic had to drop the transmission.. When I got the vehicle back i noticed that it wasn't running quiet right, but i didn't think anything about it..5 days after i got the vehicle back the transmission completely tore up...note.. there was nothing wrong with the transmission when I took it in...
Now they are saying that it was not their fault...
DO I HAVE A GOOD CASE AND CAN I SUE?

Thank You!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

smacky_cl said:
I recently had a new clutch replaced in my vehicle, and in the process of replacing the clutch they mechanic had to drop the transmission.. When I got the vehicle back i noticed that it wasn't running quiet right, but i didn't think anything about it..5 days after i got the vehicle back the transmission completely tore up...note.. there was nothing wrong with the transmission when I took it in...
Now they are saying that it was not their fault...
DO I HAVE A GOOD CASE AND CAN I SUE?

Thank You!
My response:

Sure, you can sue. The bigger question is, do you have a good case? - - and for that, we couldn't begin to tell you. You'll need some sort of proof for the judge that what the mechanic did was wrong and caused your problems; that is, something more than what you've said in your post.

IAAL

M

marvel2

Reading what happened to you sounded very familiar to me because my husband is a mechanic. And what happened to you happens all the time because my husband is in the same field and has worked on all makes and models for a little over ten years. Unfortunatly, the problem is things break! And many times, WE DO NOT KNOW WHEN THEY ARE GOING TO BREAK. I have heard these stories many times from my husband and as mentioned before the hardest part is proving that they messed it up. I hate to bring you bad news but chances are they did nothing wrong. For the most part....these people are experienced and they do this for a living and if the person is a qualified mechanic to put a clutch in a vehicle chances are they are qualified not to mess up your transmission. I can understand your frustration but the bottom line is it is probably just a freak occurance that you are having trouble right after it came back from the shop. My husband deals with this all the time. This has already happened to him and he has explained it the best way possible......."cars are machines with many mechanical components and sometimes we can tell when things are going bad and sometimes we dont. Sometimes the parts do not give you any warning." He has also said, "just like a battery or an alternator...when those go, often times we have no warning and the car can leave you sit." I am sorry to tell you that a car is a machine and the person who worked on your vehicle, I am sure, was a qualified mechanic. You will have a hard time doubting his judgement in court because he is a qualified expert and basically it would be your word against his. Good luck.
Marvel2, PA

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">