• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding in ontario with a virginia license plate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kulsoom

What is the name of your state? virginia

i was given a speeding ticket in ontario...near kanata....was going 146 in 100 zone...i live in virginia....

what should i do?

Happy Trails

Kulsoom said:
What is the name of your state? virginia

i was given a speeding ticket in ontario...near kanata....was going 146 in 100 zone...i live in virginia....

what should i do?
What does Canada want you to do?

This forum is for US law only.

Kulsoom

was fined 300 canadian dollars....want to know if it will affect my US license
(points etc)....IF i pay the fine....

what happens if i choose not to pay?!

Happy Trails

Kulsoom said:
was fined 300 canadian dollars....want to know if it will affect my US license
(points etc)....IF i pay the fine....

what happens if i choose not to pay?!
The Driver's License Compact which allows information to be given most states hadn't included sharing information with Canada or Mexico exceptions were:

New York does assess points for minor violations received in Ontario and Quebec
Michigan and Ontario exchanges information and takes adverse action
Maine and Quebec exchanges information and takes adverse action
Florida and Quebec exchanges information and takes adverse action

The REAL ID ACT (H.R. 418), has been passed by the House on Feb 10, 2005 and has been given to the Judiciary committee. This bill will require states to participate in the Driver's License Agreement. To see the Driver's license agreement go here: http://www.ncsl.org/programs/transportation/driverlicenseagree05.htm

IMO, it's only a matter of time this will be made law. This will allow the states to share license information with Canada and Mexico.

Exactly how Virginia is going to view and use that information, I just don't know.

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=7qkn692ovcjqq?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Driver+License+Compact&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc06a&linktext=Driver License Compact

Do what you want, but if it were me I'd pay it and forget about it. Currently VA isn't sharing the information with Canada, so hopefully it will be off your record by the time VA may have access to it. It is approximately $258 in US currency.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">