• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless -78 in a 55 - Fairfax, VA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mandymb520

Fairfax, VA -- I was clocked going 78 in a 55 on I-495. It was about 4am, I was on way way to NC for vacation, conditions were clear. I have a Pennsylvania drivers license, and my record is completely clean. Going more than 20 miles over the speed limit in VA is considered reckless driving. My question is because I was only going 23mph over, do I have a chance to get the charges reduced to only speeding? Do I need a lawyer or will I end up paying more for the lawyer than I will for the fine? Also will I get points on my PA license? My court date is fastly approaching, any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

cranger

Because that's barely over the threshold for reckless driving and you have a clean record, I'd say you have an excellent chance at getting it reduced. However, you'll almost certainly need a lawyer. Defendents can not plea directly with the prosecutor in Fairfax, it has to be through a lawyer. Sucks, but that's the way it is. Even a cheap lawyer should be able to get this one reduced, though. Take the reckless charge seriously, though, as it'll go down as a misdemeanor on your record if not reduced. Virginia's pretty harsh that way...

I had my reckless (82 in 55) reduced to Improper Driving. I have a MD license, so had the same question you do about points. I checked my record after a while, and the Improper Driving was there, but did not have any points attached to it. Maybe it's because MD doesn't have an Improper Driving infraction on its books... I don't know... But the infraction will almost certainly get back to PA.

mdljhu

I have an out of state case currently, and am licensed in PA. Here's what I found based on the DLC between member states:
http://www.dot10.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-dlc.pdf

Although reported to PennDOT, minor traffic offenses such as speeding, red light, stop sign, etc., will
(NOT) appear on your driving record, unless you are a CDL holder. Points will not be assessed to
your PA driving record when convicted of a point related offense in a DLC member state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">