• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minors, Holidays, and Firing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AmandaMK

:confused: What is the name of your state? Michigan

I am a minor and have not worked one holiday this year as I am under 18 and therefore have to go with my parents to a cabin we have upstate.

Recently my boss told me that it was required that employees work either Chirstmas Eve or New Years Eve. This was not told to me at the time of hiring. I will not be in town for either of these holidays and I have offically "requested" this holidays off before any other of the employees.

Also, it has been confirmed that there are more than enough employees to cover both holidays.

Can my Boss fire me for not working these holidays?

Beth3

Amanda, even though you're just 17, you're being presented with a very adult real-life scenario. You have to choose between your personal plans and the work schedule your employer is dictating.

What you want to do here is up to you.

Bcar1463

that's right, your boss can fire you for that or pretty much any reason, that is no exception. But I have found that if you are a good employee and just sit down with your boss and have a chat, explaining that you went through the proper channels to request time off and were not told of this policy before hand there is a chance they will make an exception. Personally, if they will not bend it their policy then I give them notice I will be quitting before those dates. I think it would look better for future jobs if you have a previous employer you quit from because "they wouldn't work around your schedule," rather than being fired for "refused to work assigned days" or something like that.

badd2323

Bcar1463 said:
that's right, your boss can fire you for that or pretty much any reason, that is no exception. But I have found that if you are a good employee and just sit down with your boss and have a chat, explaining that you went through the proper channels to request time off and were not told of this policy before hand there is a chance they will make an exception. Personally, if they will not bend it their policy then I give them notice I will be quitting before those dates. I think it would look better for future jobs if you have a previous employer you quit from because "they wouldn't work around your schedule," rather than being fired for "refused to work assigned days" or something like that.
The last part of your post is pretty much irrelevant. Most employers will only give employed from to employed to dates when asked for referances, due to liabilities.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Most employers will only give employed from to employed to dates when asked for referances, due to liabilities.

Are you prepared to give that as a guarantee? That is changing rapidly.

Amanda, you may as well learn now that life is not fair, and that in the employment world this is only the first of many unfair scenarios you'll face. Do you think it is fair for you to be given a holiday off when everyone else has to work? I don't.

I agree with cbg. Put yourself in the shoes of the other employees who are in compliance with the policy. I'm sure they'd like to have every holiday off as well.

g33k

Fact of life: work can suck sometimes. For example, I'm a college student and I get to actually go home only once or twice a year. This year, I have to work on Christmas, so I can't go home. Yeah, it sucks, but I need to have a job so I don't have a choice in the matter. I do what they tell me to do.

However, sometimes if you're a minor your boss will work with you. That's the boss being extremely kind, though, and is not usually to be expected to have special arrangements such as that made.

badd2323

cbg said:
Most employers will only give employed from to employed to dates when asked for referances, due to liabilities.

Are you prepared to give that as a guarantee? That is changing rapidly.

I guess nothing is is a guarantee, I have been a manager for two very large companies over the last twelve years, and have been advised by our legal staffs not to give any more information than that to any potential employer that inquires. In addition, every time I try to find out any information about a potential employee thats all the info I usually get.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">