• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

3 Tickets in 1 sitting, help?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AllYouCanTiff

What is the name of your state? NY

I got caught today and trust me, i learned my lesson. =(

I hopped over to the HOV lane by cutting over the single line (not the double line divider)... its for people who wanted to EXIT the hov lane. I got caught, so he pulled me over, said I was speeding, 80 in 55, and he realized im by myself.

OK I admit, this is really my fault and i have no say but I gave him my list of excuses which he casually ignores.

Should I delay the court date and PRAY to god that he doesnt show up? Also, he said he paced me but honestly i was NOT doing 80, 70 AT MOST. This makes a difference, a 25 OVER or a 15mph over.

If I do delay court date, what should i say?

I was thinking of saying that I only had to cut over because i was trying to avoid an accident - this guy next to me didnt see me and tried to cut into my lane. would this work? (im only saying this because this actually happened before but there were no cops around).

Thanks guys, just a buncha random questions.

I will definitely calm down after this, waiting in traffic is better than 3 tickets that i cant afford.

seniorjudge

Standard answer

Here are some hints on appearing in court:

Dress professionally in clean clothes.

Do not wear message shirts.

Don't chew gum, smoke, or eat.

Bathe and wash your hair.

Do not bring small children or your friends.

Go to court beforehand some day before you actually have to go to watch how things go.

Speak politely and deferentially. If you argue or dispute something, do it professionally and without emotion.

Ask the court clerk who you talk to about a diversion (meaning you want to plead to a different, lesser charge), if applicable in your situation. Ask about traffic school and the ticket not go on your record, if applicable.

Here are five stories that criminal court judges hear the most (and I suggest you do not use them or variations of them):

1. I’ve been saved! (This is not religion specific; folks from all kinds of religious backgrounds use this one.)

2. My girlfriend/mother/sister/daughter is pregnant/sick/dying/dead/crippled and needs my help.

3. I’ve got a job in [name a state five hundred miles away].

4. This is the first time I ever did this.

5. You’ve got the wrong guy. (A variation of this one is the phantom defendant story: “It wasn’t me driving, it was a hitchhiker I picked up. He wrecked the car, drug me behind the wheel then took off.”)

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=854687#post854687

Public defender’s advice

http://newyork.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/70300494.html

Other people may give you other advice; stand by.

AllYouCanTiff said:
I was thinking of saying that I only had to cut over because i was trying to avoid an accident - this guy next to me didnt see me and tried to cut into my lane. would this work? (im only saying this because this actually happened before but there were no cops around).
Yeah... Lie.... That's a great, responsible thing to do. Your thread wasn't that bad until you said this. You're asking us if your LIE will work... Give it a shot and let us know how stupid you felt with your tail between your legs, as the officer makes you look like a lying ass.

AllYouCanTiff

hey dude, thanks for being so nice about it!
jeez, this is the internet, i have no way to prove to you if that really happened but if you want to call me a liar, thats ok because you actually offered me advice in saying that cops will not believe this as you obviously didnt either.

This was at exit 42 on the LIE, the court is in Hempstead. Be careful driving there guys, the cops are waiting for HOV lane abusers like myself.

Well thats really great advice guys. Thanks. I learned my lesson about cutting in the hov lane. But yeah definitely good info I can use when I do go to court.

Thanks again!

1 more question, I am certain i was not doing 80, how would i argue this?

seniorjudge

AllYouCanTiff said:
hey dude, thanks for being so nice about it!
jeez, this is the internet, i have no way to prove to you if that really happened but if you want to call me a liar, thats ok because you actually offered me advice in saying that cops will not believe this as you obviously didnt either.

This was at exit 42 on the LIE, the court is in Hempstead. Be careful driving there guys, the cops are waiting for HOV lane abusers like myself.

Well thats really great advice guys. Thanks. I learned my lesson about cutting in the hov lane. But yeah definitely good info I can use when I do go to court.

Thanks again!

LIE: Is that Long Island Expressway?

Anyway, there is no way I know of that you can prove you were not doing 80.

I would (if I were you) try to negotiate this down to a nonmoving violation. I don't know how they handle that up there, but 80/55 may be outside the range of where they want to negotiate.

sukharev

AllYouCanTiff said:
My advice (this is what worked for me in similar situation), pick up yellow pages, and call up a few attorneys specializing in traffic tickets. Find one that is familiar with the court (preferably works next door), and does not cost an arm and a leg. My ticket disappeared without me ever showing up in court (I did pay court costs). That was 8 years ago, so I doubt the guy is still in business, but I can send you his name if curious.

Alternatively, listen to seniorjudge and try to negotiate with the prosecutor, maybe he will knock down the speeding charge to a non-moving violation (parking ticket). That's quite unlikely, but possible. What's more likely is that you will get reduction in speeding charge, and that may work for you, as long as you don't get points (don't recall what NY point system is like, but you can look it up).

You Are Guilty

You can get a plea bargain in the Hempstead court so the advice to find a (cheap) local lawyer is about your best chance.

And yes, the LIE = the World's Longest Parking Lot

AllYouCanTiff

so you guys are definitely suggesting that I go to a lawyer instead of showing up myself right? What are the approximate lawyer fees? I am alot more worried about the fine then I am with my points (I think i have just enough to spare for these tickets).

With that said about my financial disability, do you guys still think the lawyer is my best bet? Or should I just go to court myself with much preparation and do a plea bargain?

Yes Long Island Expressway is hell for me. I go to school in deep LI and I live in Queens... well scratch that, I freaking live on the LIE!!!

Thanks again everybody!

sukharev

Well, I don't know how you can have "spare" points. Your insurance will go up, and you will have to pay much more than the ticket itself. Any lawyer would cost you more, too.

If you don't have any money, go to court and ask for mercy. You are likely not going to get any, but who knows.

You Are Guilty

Lawyers can run you anywhere from $200 to $1000 to make one appearance for you. (Generally, you get what you pay for.)

If money is tight, consider taking the NYDMV 6hr class to knock some points off your record before you go to court yourself, on the "off chance" you lose and get hit with more points.

sukharev

$200 is what I paid (plus another $150 in court costs), and it was worth it. The key is to find a lawyer familiar with the particular court, by asking how many cases did they have in it in the past month. If the answer is 1, hang up and try again (a different number).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">