• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

out of state speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lee2005

What is the name of your state? MD

Hi,

I got a ticket today in Virginia. The officer said on the ticket "reckless driving at 83 miles per hour on the road with speed limit of 65 miles per hour". I was driving a rental car when I got this ticket. My driver's license is issued by the state of MD. I haven't had any traffic ticket for the past 9 years.

The officer gave me a "Virginia Uniform Summons" form and said if I cannot go to the court in January 2006 I have to call a phone number.

If I don't go to the court, will I have points? Also, if I don't go to the court, will this ticket information be sent to MD MVA and show up in my record? What's the best way to handle this ticket?

Thanks,
Lee

Last edited:

mdljhu

From my understanding of what I've been reading for my own case, if you are convicted of a minor traffic violation in any state that is a member of the DLC (Driver's License Compact), that state is "supposed" to report the conviction to the state in which you are licensed. However, the following applies:

http://mva.state.md.us/AboutMVA/INFO/26100-22T.htm
I have a MD driver's license and was recently convicted of a vehicle related offense in another state. Will that conviction information and points be placed on my MD driver record?

If you received a conviction out-of-state, that state is obligated under the terms of the Driver License Compact (DLC) to notify the MVA. Upon receipt of the information, the MVA will update your driver record.

For many types of violations, the MVA will only record the conviction information on your MD driver record and will not assess points. However, if you have been convicted of one of the serious violations identified in Article IV of the Driver’s License Compact, the MVA will record both the conviction information and the points associated with it. The number of points assessed is equal to the number that would have been assessed if the conviction occurred in MD.
Here's a direct link to the DLC provided on the page in the previous link:
http://mlis.state.md.us/cgi-win/web_statutes.exe?gtr&16-703

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">