• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

forgery statutes of limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? IL

Almost 6 years ago, I signed a check that wasn't mine. Someone else cashed it, but I forged the signature on the back. After 6 years, is there any possible legal trouble that could arise from this stupid act of mine? The amount was about $300. Whats the worst that could happen to me?

JETX

tygersofpantang said:
Almost 6 years ago, I signed a check that wasn't mine. Someone else cashed it, but I forged the signature on the back. After 6 years, is there any possible legal trouble that could arise from this stupid act of mine?
If you haven't been charged with a crime, no. The SOL (Statute of Limitations) on any criminal or civil liability has expired. If you have been charged but not brought to trial, there is no SOL.

So, if I understand you , I have nothing to worry about at this point, correct? Not that I'm proud of what I did, but I can't change the past. I've never been charged with anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">