• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ labor contract dispute with recruiter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

djohnson99

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I got a job through a recruiting company. The company that they recruited me to work at will pay their recruiting fees after 90 days. During the hiring process the recruiting company had me sign a form that apparently says that if I take the assignment I have to stay there for at least 90 days. I can't quit or get fired or they will sue me for $12000. Aparently this is the sum of money they will get from their client (for which I'm working) if I stay there for at least 90 days. If I leave before then, the recruiting company gets nothing so that's why I would be responsible for the money. Also, they did not give me a copy of the contract I signed before I left their offices. I asked them for a copy a week ago and still haven't received it.

I have now been at my job for 2 weeks and hate it. I want out but the recruting company has point blank told me if I get fired or quit for ANY reason they will sue me. They said even if I call out sick and do not provide a doctor's note I will get sued. Is this legal in the state of NJ? It almost sounds like slavery (I know I'm being dramatic :)). Also is it kosher that they didn't give me a copy when I signed it?

Thanks a lot for all the help

Daniel

pattytx

There's no way anyone is going to be able to tell you whether any of this contract is enforceable without reading it in its entirety. When you get a copy (and go down to the office and wait, if you have to), have it reviewed by a local attorney versed in contract law.

BelizeBreeze

Generally, without reading the contract for specific unenforcable clause, such a contract is not only legal, but normal in such a situation.

Your not having a copy is correctable. Call them and get a copy.

djohnson99

Yeah, I guess it's my fault for not reading it more carefully. I've always gone through recruiting companies and never had to sign such a strict contract. I guess I'll have to get an attorney and go from there.

What bothers me is the fact that even if I get fired I am responsible for the money. I mean the company can choose to fire me if I'm late one day. They can fire me for anything. I have no control over that. And then I'm not only out of a job but I also end up owing 12000. That doesn't seem normal or fair.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">