• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding in Fairfax, VA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cybowolf

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Virginia

Last night I was pulled over on 7100 in Fairfax, VA for going 65 in a 50. I was initially not speeding (or at least definately not 15mph over), but then there was a car right on my tail, so I sped up. It sped up some more, so I sped up some more. Then the lights came on--it was a policce cruiser and I got pulled over! I couldn't tell it was a Police cruiser sooner because it was terribly dark out and his headlights were right in my mirror.

From reading around, I've heard this method of gauging speed is called pacing, and because I sped up I am guilty. I can live with this. The problem is that I am on probation in VA, and any points assessed on my license will automatically result in a suspension. I have already been to driving school recently, and truly have made huge changes in the way I drive. Yeah, I know everyone says that, but I really have, driving liking a granny in the far right lane, etc.--last night was just bad luck I guess.

So my question is, is there anything I can do to avoid having my license suspended? It seems pretty clear that the pacing method is accepted, and I definately was above the speed limit when I got pulled over, so it looks pretty bleak. Do any circumstances like being tailed very closely at night give me any sort of defense? Or, is there any chance of going to court, pleading guilty, but then begging amd pleading to avoid suspension? The fine/charge isn't the real issue for me; having my license suspended is. Is there enough in my favor to even consider getting a lawyer?

Anyways, yeah, I don't expect much pity considering my driving record the last year (prior to moving to Virgina a year ago though, I never had a ticket in my life), but truly, any advice or comments would be extremely appreciated.

-cybowolf

seniorjudge

Q: Do any circumstances like being tailed very closely at night give me any sort of defense?

A: No; the proper response to such a jerk behind you is to slow down and move as far to the right as possible.

sukharev

Look up pace defense on the net. The key is police car speedometer calibration, which has to be produced at trial.

JETX

cybowolf said:
So my question is, is there anything I can do to avoid having my license suspended?
Yep. Lots of things... starting with not getting in violations. However, there isn't a lot you can do AFTER the fact!1

Do any circumstances like being tailed very closely at night give me any sort of defense?
Nope. Your options at the time were to get out of his way and let 'him' take the risk of a ticket... or maintaining the speed limit and letting him pass you.

Or, is there any chance of going to court, pleading guilty, but then begging amd pleading to avoid suspension?
Always a chance.

Is there enough in my favor to even consider getting a lawyer?
Some local attorney's can work wonders in local courts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">