• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long am I screwed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thestallion022

California... Several parts to my question. In 2002 I was involved in two incidents which resulted in the conviction of 4 misdemeanors. The first incident included Filing a False Report and a Hit & Run (property damage), and the second included another Hit & Run (more property) and a DUI. I'm on informal probation for the DUI until May '06. I've paid my fines, served my time, and finished my community service, but it's affecting me more now than ever before. I was recently offered 2 jobs but failed both background checks. Now my questions: 1. How long will they all be on my criminal record 2. How far back do background checks for would-be employers go? 3. What are the chances of getting them sealed/expunged? 4. What is the difference between sealed and expunged? 5. What are the chances of being successful in getting them sealed/expunged if I represent myself? and finally 6. Could it be that easy (setting a court date and merely asking a judge with valid reasons in hand)? Or will it require an attorney going behind the scenes and flashing impressive courtroom jargon that I'm incapable of?
If you don't have time to answer all of my questions, I understand. I apologize for being so lengthy, but I wanted to be specific to hopefully receive a specific answer. I was browsing through the other postings and noticed several vague questions that probably make your job very difficult. Thank you very much for time
-Mike Cavallo

ENASNI

TYRIS

1. How long will they all be on my criminal record
-Your convictions will stay on your record forever unless you get them expunged.

2. How far back do background checks for would-be employers go?
-They will go back to the age of 18.

3. What are the chances of getting them sealed/expunged?
It depends. Do you have any credible reason as to why your convictions should be expunged?

On an interesting note, the guy who struck Nancy Kerrigan justed attempted to get his record expunged and was denied.

It's not that easy to get a record expunged.

4. What is the difference between sealed and expunged?
-If a record is sealed (ie: Juvenile records) its still there but not accessible to everyone. If it is expunged, it is taken off your record.

5. What are the chances of being successful in getting them sealed/expunged if I represent myself?
-Slim to none unless you know what you are doing.

6. Could it be that easy (setting a court date and merely asking a judge with valid reasons in hand)? Or will it require an attorney going behind the scenes and flashing impressive courtroom jargon that I'm incapable of?

-No it is not that easy. If your going to try to get your convictions expunged you really should have an attorney. They know the legal processes that you do not.

Tyris

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">