• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who can claim EIC?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cat2young

I am in FL. My ex is OVER 18,000. behind in child support. I am remarried and have had a third child, EIC only covers 2 children. Can I give my ex the power to claim one (his) child, so he can get the EIC? Which would go toward his back child support. He is flagged with IRS.
Thanks

L

LadyBlu

cat2young said:
I am in FL. My ex is OVER 18,000. behind in child support. I am remarried and have had a third child, EIC only covers 2 children. Can I give my ex the power to claim one (his) child, so he can get the EIC? Which would go toward his back child support. He is flagged with IRS.
Thanks
Yes you can, I have 3 (as you know) with different fathers, I allow my daughters father to claim her on his taxes every other year so he can take the credit.
As long as you also send the form 8332 I believe stating you are giving him permission to claim the child for that year everything will be fine.

C

cat2young

Thanks LadyBlu

Thanks, hope you are feeling better. It would be nice to get some support from him with all the grief he causes. I guess I may find out how long those tax flags take.*S*

L

LadyBlu

Re: Thanks LadyBlu

cat2young said:
Thanks, hope you are feeling better. It would be nice to get some support from him with all the grief he causes. I guess I may find out how long those tax flags take.*S*
Thanks Cat, I am feeling alot better this week then I did last... Just keep forgetting my limitations.

The flag will take awhile to receive oncce he files. Just warning you, especially if he is remarried and filing jointly. In 96 when they first flagged my exes, he and his wife thought if they filed right at the first of the year they would avoid the flag.. well it didnt, but still took til almost the end of June for me to receive payment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">