• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statute of limitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

iamtootired

I had a case in the small claims court. The plaintiff did not show up and the case was dismissed. Almost one year later I called the plaintiff to make sure that when the credit bureaus call him, he says that the case was dismissed.
He became very upset and said that I was lying that the case was not dismissed. I call the Court House and the clerk verified that indeed the case had been dismissed 11 months ago.
He called me back and said that he is going to file a Motion to vacate the dismissal and he is going to start suing me again.
Is that possible that after 11 months, the case was dismissed ( he did not show up ), this is small claim ( I am quite sure that the plaintiffs in small claims can't appeal). He is going to start the case again, and continue to disrupt my life?
Thanks for your help.

D

David J. Miller

1)Have the creditors call the court, not the guy.

2)It depends on if the case was dismissed with or without prejudice. I'm not sure if there is a standard in the event the plaintiff is a no show.

Check back for a response from an attorney. I really only wanted to tell you the first thing. The 2nd item is coming from a laymen and may not 100% accurate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">