• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting... what should I expect?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dumb_ass_613

What is the name of your state? KY

I was caught shoplifting at Wal-Mart (and yes I'm guilty, meant to do it, and did it... unfortunately). Please no debate on the stupidity of this action. I'm a dumb ass. leave it at that. I was taken to the back and was put through the standard procedure, banned from Wal-Mart, picture, etc. Then I was taken to county jail and spent the day there. This was the first time (and last) I have ever been to jail and my record is spotless. The cop said I should expect about $350-400 in fines/court costs and 10 days in jail served on weekends. I feel this is pretty steep for a first criminal offense, and can't dispute that I would deserve such a sentence (although who wants to go to jail... and I've known many DUI's and other what I consider more seriouis offenses that never spent a day in jail). Fines are fine... just after my first experience of just one day in jail I don't want to ever see the inside of a cell again, although if that's what I must do then I will accept my fate. I was wondering if anyone knows if this is the typical sentence I should expect for a first criminal offense of this nature (30 days - to serve 10)? The charge on my citation is listed as "TBUT" which I assume is theft by unlawful taking... although I'm not sure. The lady at pre-trial didn't seem to be very competent and I don't even know if I have a court-appointed lawyer or much else... how can I find out if and who it is? Court is in 2 weeks. Any help or info will be appreciated.

Happy Trails

dumb_ass_613 said:
What is the name of your state? KY

I was caught shoplifting at Wal-Mart (and yes I'm guilty, meant to do it, and did it... unfortunately). Please no debate on the stupidity of this action. I'm a dumb ass. leave it at that. I was taken to the back and was put through the standard procedure, banned from Wal-Mart, picture, etc. Then I was taken to county jail and spent the day there. This was the first time (and last) I have ever been to jail and my record is spotless. The cop said I should expect about $350-400 in fines/court costs and 10 days in jail served on weekends. I feel this is pretty steep for a first criminal offense, and can't dispute that I would deserve such a sentence (although who wants to go to jail... and I've known many DUI's and other what I consider more seriouis offenses that never spent a day in jail). Fines are fine... just after my first experience of just one day in jail I don't want to ever see the inside of a cell again, although if that's what I must do then I will accept my fate. I was wondering if anyone knows if this is the typical sentence I should expect for a first criminal offense of this nature (30 days - to serve 10)? The charge on my citation is listed as "TBUT" which I assume is theft by unlawful taking... although I'm not sure. The lady at pre-trial didn't seem to be very competent and I don't even know if I have a court-appointed lawyer or much else... how can I find out if and who it is? Court is in 2 weeks. Any help or info will be appreciated.
You assumed correctly that it is theft by unlawful taking.

What was the value of the item?

Happy Trails

dumb_ass_613 said:
Its items and total was about $150...
514.030 Theft by unlawful taking or disposition -- Penalties.

(2) Theft by unlawful taking or disposition is a Class A misdemeanor.

For a Class A misdemeanor, a fine up to five hundred dollars ($500) and/or possible jail time up to 12 months.

This is your first offense, and of course nobody can say for sure what you will get, but possibly you will be eligible for probation or a conditional discharge.

If you end up gettting a chance at that, make sure you follow through with ALL the conditions of your sentence.

You may also get a civil fine from the store.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">