• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce in Oregon

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

reimerkin

I am trying to figure out the laws behind common propery and debt in Oregon.
If the other party is keeping the house and the car do they also keep the debts associated with them? Are these items considered their portion of the marital property even though the debt is attached. Should I be able to keep other things in equal value to those items or not?
If I put all the money down on the house should I be allowed to get that money back as well as half of any equity the house has earned and half of any increase in value in the time we have owned the house.
Also..
If I had a trust fund before the marriage designed to be used for my continuing educaition can the other party contest the remaining funds as joint property?
Thanks for any input it helps a lot. There are so many questions attached to this new adventure in life.

L

lildevil719

not sure about in Oregon, but in CO when my parents got divorced, my dad had to pay the house payment for a couple of years, until my Mom was on her feet financially...she owns the house in full and he got no return of down payment, equity or anything else...as far as keeping other items equal in value, unless OR is community property, it pretty much comes down to quality of life...if he/she makes more money than you, then yes, you should be allowed, if you make more money, then no. mind you, I'm just speaking from personal experience and this is in a different state, but when my parents divorced, my Mom got all of the household goods because it would impair the quality of life of herself, me & my brother if she had to find money to buy new things...you should check and see if there's a legal advice phone line in your area where they can give you specific answers to your questions...hope this helped a little

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">