• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do we have any rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Soularlite

What is the name of your state? PA My boyfriend & I both worked for a restaurant (He as a cook in the grill), (Me as a waitress in the bar area). Our manager repeatedly screamed, cursed, and called us names (as well as other employees). Many co-workers quit! This man has brought me to tears twice! After one outbursts in front of customers, my boyfriend quit! It then became pure hell for me at work! Another waitress has been complaing of sexual inuendos from this man! We went to the owners (nothing was done), and it became more unbearable....We both quit. Last night, this same manager attacked the other girls boyfriend & beat him up! This man is still working there. Are there any legal steps that we can proceed with in this situation? (A former employee has a suit against the same manager) Thanks for your help~

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
From what you have posted, there is nothing either you or your boyfriend can do because nothing that happened to you, specifically, was illegal. It is not illegal to scream and yell at an employee, even though I grant you it is unprofessional.

The man who was beaten up can go to the police and make a complaint of assault. The waitress who complained of sexual inuendo may or may not have a complain of sexual harassment, depending on details not available to us. But as far as the two of you are concerned, nothing you have described that happened to YOU violates the law, just professional behavior and etiquette.

troy

I thought it was illegal to create a hostile environment. You may have a case based on that.

mlane58

This isn't a hostile work enviroment in any sense of the word.
To meet that definition, the employee must be able to show that s/he is being subjected to either sexual harassment or illegal discrimination under Title VII (race, religion, national origin etc.). It has nothing to do with the atmosphere of your workplace, no matter how unpleasant it may be.

Botom line is: Find another job if you are unhappy! Very Simple

Beth3

It is illegal for an employer not to address a hostile work environment. The situation the poster describes does not constitute an HWE however. Soularlite, you and your boyfriend need to focus on finding new jobs and putting this miserable experience behind you.

The waitress who has been complaining of sexual innuendos from the boss may have a sexual harassment claim to make and the man the manager beat up should file criminal charges but neither of those situations has anything to do with you.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">