• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California Used Car Problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mike_Dubb

I purchased a 95 Range Rover 4.0SE on 10/17/00. On 11/17/00 the air suspension system went out. I notified the dealership on 11/20/00 of the problem and I made an appointment at the Range Rover Dealer Service department to check the problem. The earliest they could make an appointment was 11/28/00. Once there they notified me of the following: Air suspension would cost $2,700 for repair. They also found my main engine wire harness had been spliced and re-wired and that was producing a short in the electrical system and this was noted as fatal because of a serious fire hazard it imposes. Told not to drive vehicle until this was fixed. Cost to repair $4,700. The front brakes and rotors were extrememly worn. Cost $780. Drivers side window motor worn (I told the dealer where I bought the vehicle that I wanted my window fixed and they agreed verbally, they initially thought it only needed a clamp). Cost to repair $550. I'm looking at around $10,000 of needed repairs to the vehicle. Where I bought the vehicle hasn't given me there definite position on the matter, but Im concerned. Do I have any consumer rights. Please Advise.
Thank You

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Mike_Dubb said:
I purchased a 95 Range Rover 4.0SE on 10/17/00. On 11/17/00 the air suspension system went out. I notified the dealership on 11/20/00 of the problem and I made an appointment at the Range Rover Dealer Service department to check the problem. The earliest they could make an appointment was 11/28/00. Once there they notified me of the following: Air suspension would cost $2,700 for repair. They also found my main engine wire harness had been spliced and re-wired and that was producing a short in the electrical system and this was noted as fatal because of a serious fire hazard it imposes. Told not to drive vehicle until this was fixed. Cost to repair $4,700. The front brakes and rotors were extrememly worn. Cost $780. Drivers side window motor worn (I told the dealer where I bought the vehicle that I wanted my window fixed and they agreed verbally, they initially thought it only needed a clamp). Cost to repair $550. I'm looking at around $10,000 of needed repairs to the vehicle. Where I bought the vehicle hasn't given me there definite position on the matter, but Im concerned. Do I have any consumer rights. Please Advise.
Thank You
My response:

No.

You had, at one time, the right to take the vehicle to your own mechanic for inspection prior to your purchase; but, you didn't. So now, you bought someone else's problems which were probably, in large part, some or all of the reasons the vehicle was traded in the first place.

Lemon laws do not cover used vehicles, unless there is an inherent design flaw.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">