• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought a used "as is" car but was told wrong info on it.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joepro0000

Florida

My girlfriend bought a 97 3.0 CL for $3000 (124k miles)from a used auto lot. They told her the car is " as is" and it only had minor front damage. They never told her it was a rebuilt, they said the car has been crashed in the front, and the owner fixed it himself. All she needs to do is refix the front bumper, and paint the front bumper and fenders. So I bring the CL to my mechanic and heres whats wrong-
Timing belt never changed!
Right Turn signal is wired to windshield washer!
Front bumper has pieces glued!
Front frame is severely bent!
Right side of the firewall inside the engine is rebuilt with fiberglass!
Airbags are fake, and empty!
Airbag light has been disconnected!
AC makes a loud ticking sound!
Leather seats have holes in them!
Front headlights and rusted, and rotted inside!

This car is totally a mess, and is very dangerous to drive with the firewall being like that. There are a list of other things thats wrong. Anyways, I try bringing back the car, and the manager denied there is nothing wrong with the car but the bumper. And he said we bought it "as is".

However, my girlfriend was never notified it contained all these problems, she was just told there was light damage. Light Damage does not mean Salvaged. She signed the paperwork that said it was "as is" and was a rebuilt without reading. What should we do- Sue?

Also they let her drive the car away without insurance. Also on autotrader- their ad is deceiving, saying its in excellant condition.- http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=192927574&dealer_id=56468012&car_year=1997&search_type=both&make=ACURA&distance=25&model=3.0CL&address=33015&certified=&advanced=&max_price=7000&bkms=1133471972139&min_price=100&end_year=2006&start_year=1997&isp=y&lang=en&cardist=5

joepro0000 said:
Florida

My girlfriend bought a 97 3.0 CL for $3000 (124k miles)from a used auto lot. They told her the car is " as is" and it only had minor front damage. They never told her it was a rebuilt, they said the car has been crashed in the front, and the owner fixed it himself. All she needs to do is refix the front bumper, and paint the front bumper and fenders. So I bring the CL to my mechanic and heres whats wrong-
Timing belt never changed!
Right Turn signal is wired to windshield washer!
Front bumper has pieces glued!
Front frame is severely bent!
Right side of the firewall inside the engine is rebuilt with fiberglass!
Airbags are fake, and empty!
Airbag light has been disconnected!
AC makes a loud ticking sound!
Leather seats have holes in them!
Front headlights and rusted, and rotted inside!

This car is totally a mess, and is very dangerous to drive with the firewall being like that. There are a list of other things thats wrong. Anyways, I try bringing back the car, and the manager denied there is nothing wrong with the car but the bumper. And he said we bought it "as is".

However, my girlfriend was never notified it contained all these problems, she was just told there was light damage. Light Damage does not mean Salvaged. She signed the paperwork that said it was "as is" and was a rebuilt without reading. What should we do- Sue?

Also they let her drive the car away without insurance. Also on autotrader- their ad is deceiving, saying its in excellant condition.- http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=192927574&dealer_id=56468012&car_year=1997&search_type=both&make=ACURA&distance=25&model=3.0CL&address=33015&certified=&advanced=&max_price=7000&bkms=1133471972139&min_price=100&end_year=2006&start_year=1997&isp=y&lang=en&cardist=5

Does the car have a salvage title? Oh, and what is a "CL"?

If the (glued) broken front bumper, the holes in the leather, the fact that the windshield wipers came on whenever she made a right turn, the loud clicking from the AC etc did not alert her to the fact that this car was toast, I would recommend that your mechanic go along next time.

Here's a way you might be able to get out of the deal. With that much front end damage, there's a possibility that the odometer/odometer sensor was damaged/replaced or non operative (even 1/100th of a mile means the car has to be sold as :miles unknown"). If that was the case, and was not disclosed, she'd be in good shape, and the dealer would be in deep do-do.

Do a little investigation to see if the odometer readings taken at various intervals (when the car was sold, stickers on the door frame for oil changes, THE DEALER'S OWN RECORDS ie miles when purchased vs miles when sold). What might appear to be a minor problem (like, "Hey! it was only disconnected for a mile or two!") would be an IMMEDIATE ticket to freedom.

moburkes

Just an FYI: Selling the vehicle to her without insurance means nothing. They are not required to check the insurance. They only time car dealers check insurance is when someone is financing the vehicle, and the dealer is signing off to the finance company that the vehicle, when it leaves the lot, carries comprehensive and collision. Your girlfriend's agreement to provide insurance is between her and the DMV/BMV in your state. Not their problem.

joepro0000

Yes is was a rebuilt, Acura CL. My girlfriend was only aware of the front bumper damaged, and the guy said he would patch the ripped leather. So she figured it could be less than 800.00 of work.

Is there a way I can check the odemeter senor?

If you can get the name of the guy who "fixed" the car, call him and ask him point blank if there had been any issues with the odometer after the crash. Don't make a big deal out of it, because if there was, and he didn't divulge it, he violated state and federal law.

Remember, EVERY time the car was sold, an odometer statement was filed. Look for dicrepancies.

I am not saying that this cars' odometer ever malfunctioned, but if it DID, you have recourse. (against any persons/businesses who were aware of the problem)

joepro0000

I spoke to several lawyers...but none want to take the case cause there isn't really alot of money involved. One told me I can sue the place because they asked my girlfriend's sister for her insurance card so they can write down that insurance number and give my girlfriend a tag to drive it home. However, her sister told them she does not have my girlfriend on the insurance, and nor does she plan on having her. They just told her this is something formal, and it doesn't matter what insurance they put down. They just need a number of an insurance policy to let her drive it. This is some type of insurance fraud.

Again, I don't know if there was a problem with the odometer. If you find compelling evidence that someone may have failed to report such a problem, it is possible that the prospect of possibly obtaining triple damages might change an attorneys mind. See the end of the "odometer fraud" thread under consumer contracts (the op is "supmom"), where that situation did occur.

teflon_jones

Your girlfriend should have had the car inspected by an independent 3rd party prior to purchasing it. Take it as a lesson learned. She trusted a used car salesman!

Zephyr

teflon_jones said:
Your girlfriend should have had the car inspected by an independent 3rd party prior to purchasing it. Take it as a lesson learned. She trusted a used car salesman!

I agree, when you are buying something "as is" it is your responsibilty to make sure you understand what you are buying.

if she consistently uses an auto repair place for service and repairs, meaning she is an established customer with them, the shop may do a free or at least a low cost prepurchase inspection. even if it costs 50 for the inspection it is money well spent. especially when you know the vehicle has been in ANY type of accident you really should get it checked out.

"buyer beware"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">