• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

favoritism/discrimination in the workplace

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

brtnf

I work in a machine shop in Wisconsin. It is a union shop. I have been there for almost 7 years now. Before coming there, I spent 16+ years in the Dairy industry, with 12 of that being management. There was personal reasons for me getting out of management and the dairy industry.
It was approximatel 3 years ago, we lost a big customer, and there was alot of permanent layoffs. I survived, but had to go on nights. I started looking for another job, and a company wanted to hire me for days, and saw my prior experience in management, and knew I would be dependable and trustworthy. The current foreman at that time overheard me talking to another employee about this job. He asked me if I would come up to the Plant Manager's office, as the manager and himself had something they wanted to discuss with me. They told me that they were looking for a foreman on their 3rd shift, and I was their main candidate. So, even though I was feeling doubtful of this conversation, I turned down that prospective job and decided to stay, to see if they were really serious about what was said in the meeting. Turned out that they were serious,to say whatever was needed to keep me there. About 6 months ago, they hired a foreman for the assembly line. This person had started about 2 years after I had, quit, tried to start a roofing business and lost his butt, and they hired him back. He had no management experience, but his brother had been in charge of the Maintenance Dept.
Needless to say, I was furious, and I haven't really gotten over it yet. I have all this experience in management,turned down a good job because they were looking at having me in a management position, I am also self-employed with my own DJ Service that I started back in the late 70's, never lost my butt and wasn't even approached for this job.
I don't know what anybody else calls it, but if that isn't discrimination, then what is it. Please let me know my options.

[Edited by brtnf on 11-30-2000 at 05:43 PM]

D

D. D. Lessenberry

Unless I am reading your post incorrectly, you turned down the job in your own shop. Therefore, they hired someone else.

I am not an attorney.

B

buddy2bear

Apparently they only told you that you were a "main candidate" for this position. They did not make an offer. You turned down the job at a new company anticipating that they would make an offer. You should have gotten the offer first, before turning down the other job. Sorry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">