• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Passed a Cop! Help! ****land

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Luke Skywalker

What is the name of your state? ****land
What is the name of your state? MD

I passed a cop on a back road on the Eastern Shore and he gave me a ticket for speeding - 77 in a 50.

I think he was pissed that I passed him. He was a 'natural resource' park police in a pickup truck (? certified speedo). I am positive I wasn't going 77 but may have been over the limit when I passed him.

What are my options?

1. Plead at the Leniency? Court (where you admit guilt and hope the Judge is in a good mood).

2. Fight the ticket, figuring maybe he won't show up as he is not a traffic cop and also figure that his truck is not certified re: speedometer.

Do I have a case?

Comments appreciated!

what are you going to say - I was going that fast to avoid a collision with Bambi? If you have no tickets on your record then get probation and take a deferred sentence .... no more trouble in 6 months off your record for good....

Luke Skywalker said:
2. Fight the ticket, figuring maybe he won't show up as he is not a traffic cop and also figure that his truck is not certified re: speedometer.
I wouldn't try these arguments. I don't know of any patrol cars being "certified".

sukharev

poohmantbb said:
I wouldn't try these arguments. I don't know of any patrol cars being "certified".
Boy, that was the worst advice ever...

Now, correct answer: Yes, you can fight the ticket, but you need to know how to do it. Look up the pace car defense on the web (indeed, if speedometer was not calibrated, you may win if the judge accepts your argument). First thing, look at your ticket and find out what was used to measure your speed. If no method is indicated, then it's probably visual. Hard to contest, but easier to get reduced.

Also, you are correct, and the officer may not show up, but don't count on it.

Luke Skywalker

Should I just do the 'Leniency' route?

I don't have much confidence in going to court (****land Eastern Shore has a bad reputation re: fairness from what I understand), even though I think I have a case (eg: how did he determine my speed pacing me with a pickup truck!)

sukharev said:
Boy, that was the worst advice ever...

Now, correct answer: Yes, you can fight the ticket, but you need to know how to do it. Look up the pace car defense on the web (indeed, if speedometer was not calibrated, you may win if the judge accepts your argument).
..... are they "certified" or "calibrated".... there maybe a little difference here.

Last edited by a moderator:

justalayman

sukharev said:
Mind clarifying the difference?

Simple thing here folks

calibrated.. the act of verifying or adjusting a device to be accurate

certifying......where one who has authority states that a device has been calibrated

in other words folks you need both...one so it is accurate and the second one so it can be accepted as such

sukharev

justalayman said:
Simple thing here folks

calibrated.. the act of verifying or adjusting a device to be accurate

certifying......where one who has authority states that a device has been calibrated

in other words folks you need both...one so it is accurate and the second one so it can be accepted as such
I agree with this, and for radar or lidar both are done at the same time, once a year. As for police car, even if it's done propely within the last year, officer would be unlikely to present this at trial. In such case, his speed measurement based on his own car speed is inadmissible as evidence. Case dismissed. :)

sukharev said:
I agree with this, and for radar or lidar both are done at the same time, once a year. As for police car, even if it's done propely within the last year, officer would be unlikely to present this at trial. In such case, his speed measurement based on his own car speed is inadmissible as evidence. Case dismissed. :)
Try that sometime and let me know if it works.

Luke Skywalker

sukharev said:

This is the main issue of my situation. If MD requires speedometers to be calibrated or certified, I should be home free!

Does anyone know for sure???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">