• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Author's rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

iamtootired

When my child was at kindergarten, her school asked the parents to write their experiences with the children in a variety of subjects.
I wrote more tham two pages and sent to the owner of the school. I told her that I would like to know if she was going to use my writings and about the book.
She published the book and wrote a whole chapter with all my writings, it seems that the book is selling ok.
She never paid me anything for my work. She did not put the writers name in the book ( She alleges that is for the parents security).
Do I have a right in the book ?
What should I do to make her pay me for my work?

Thanks

ALawyer

You have a copyright in the writings you publish.
Unless you GAVE her the copyright, or assigned it as part of the submission -- such as alll posts on this Forum belong to the form as a condition of posting -- she should not have used the material without asking.

As for damages, it really depends. I do not know what she OR THE PUBLISHER makes from the book, or what portion of the work was your material, nor if you are an author that writes for a living, nor do I know how other contributors feel.

If you and the other contributors banded together and asked that royalties all go to the school and not to you individually you'd be taking a high minded approach. Otherwise you will be known as that miserable SOB that sued the teacher out of greed and you (and probably your kids) will carry a stigma.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">