• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Criminal Prosecution?/Statute of limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Coollaw

What is the statute of limitations?

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Last March I was fired from CVS after being accused of being a dishonest employee. I was accused of buying items with my employee discount and returning them at the full cost. When you return an item to cvs they give you the money back on a card, which you can later use. I had used my mothers cvs card and they thought that I had bought the items returned on the card at a discount and returned it at full price. I never used the employee discount for my mom. They asked me if I wanted to settle this civil mater out of court and I agreed because I knew that I did not have enough money to hire a lawyer and fight this. The fired me and told me never to come back to any cvs store again. They then verbally told me that they would not persue this matter in criminal court. I received a letter in the mail from a lawyer telling me that I have to pay a certain amount of money to cvs in order to avoid going to civil court. I sent them the money and later received a letter telling me that this matter is now settled. I am wondering can they still take me to criminal court for this matter? How long are the statute of limitations? What is the likely hood that they will take me to criminal court? I just want to put this matter behind me and move on with my life.

Thank You

-Coollaw

Last edited:

Kane

It's very unlikely they'd report it to the police, if they haven't already. I don't know the SOL for NJ. You may have to do a google search. If it was a misdemeanor, it's probably one or two years.

J

jmac3

You better keep the letter and put it in a safe place because that is your only defense if they decide other wise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">