• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Worthless Checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

srhgrl

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I was wondering if someone could tell me what the statue of limitations is for worthless checks in Wisconsin??

Someone please respond ASAP.

Thanks!

seniorjudge

srhgrl said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I was wondering if someone could tell me what the statue of limitations is for worthless checks in Wisconsin??

Someone please respond ASAP.

Thanks!
http://wsll.state.wi.us/topic/banking.html

http://folio.legis.state.wi.us/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=49360490&infobase=stats.nfo&j1=943.24&jump=943.24

http://www.wdfi.org/wca/consumer_credit/credit_guides/worthless_checks.htm

I can't find the statute of limitations right now but here are some sites to get you started in your research.

You could also call the prosecutor's bad check division and ask them. You don't have to give your identity.

BelizeBreeze

Wisconsin passed the "Bad Checks Bill" into law in 1999.

Previously, any person who writes a bad check for less than $2,500 is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor punishable by a fine of no more than $10,000, nine months in prison, or both. Suder and Welch’s Bill increases the penalties for issuing bad checks to a Class I felony for any check or series of checks issued in a 90-day period worth more than $2,500. The Legislators said that a Class I felony carries up to a $10,000 fine or three and a half years in prison or both.

Civil penalties in Wisconsin include the amount of check plus actual damages and exemplary damages not to exceed treble face amount of check(s).

Before a lawsuit may be filed under s. 943.245 the plaintiff must notify the defendant at least 20 days prior to commencing the legal action, of the plaintiff’s intent to bring the legal action. At a minimum, the notice should be sent by regular mail supported by an affidavit of service of mailing. Prior to commencement of any legal action the debtor should not be billed for items b, c and d because if the debtor pays the check, and any allowable costs under s. 403.414(7), prior to the commencement of the lawsuit the debtor is not liable under s. 943.245.

Prosecution for a felony must be commenced within 6 years and prosecution of a misdemeanor must be commenced within 3 years of the crime.

893.50 Other actions. All personal actions on any contract not limited by this chapter or any other law of this state shall be brought within 10 years after the accruing of the cause of action.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">