• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding ticket advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mtbgeoff

What is the name of your state? massachusetts

okay, I've had my lisens for about 4 months, and I got my first speeding ticket, it was 84 in a 50
I'd been coming back from selling christmas trees for the boyscouts, and one of the scouting dads and his kid were driving behind me. All of a sudden, a cruiser pulls out behind me, it was 8 oclock, and he had no lights at all on, even headlights, according to the dad, he followed me right on my bumper until about a mile down the road when he flashed his lights on and pulled me over, and gave me a ticket for speeding a mile back.
question- is it legal for the cop to do what he did; be hiding in the woods with his lights completely off, then to drive with the lights completely off, also I believe he was on private property when he first saw me. is that legal?

-thanks

mtbgeoff said:
question- is it legal for the cop to do what he did; be hiding in the woods with his lights completely off, then to drive with the lights completely off, also I believe he was on private property when he first saw me. is that legal?

Yes..... or for you.... yis.

Curt581 said:
What makes you think that where the officer was parked will have any bearing on whether or not you were speeding?

You were doing 34 over the limit for chrissakes!

Was THAT legal?

1*
Forgive him.... for he's an idiot.

zippysgoddess

Personally, I believe part of the driver's test should be a mandatory spelling section, and if you can't spell the word LICENSE then you can't get one!! :eek:

sukharev

OKei, now that the gods have spoken...

Calm down, and accept the fact you don't have any LEGAL case. The speed was too high for any court to accept any technicalities as arguments. What you do is go to magistrate, try to ask for a reduction in fine, and that's it. Maybe you can ask to get it reduced to a parking ticket, but that's extremely unlikely. Don't even try to blame the officer, he just did his job and caught you speeding. You will be found responsible (in MA traffic law speak), that is guilty. That's 2 SDIP points, no sweat. Roughly $500 more in insurance per year.

He knew you broke the law a mile back, but he was seeing if maybe he could get you to do something else that he could site you for. A 34 mph over ticket is going to be expensive.. pay it and if you have no current tickets on your record ask for probation....

sukharev

RedemptionMan said:
A 34 mph over ticket is going to be expensive.. pay it and if you have no current tickets on your record ask for probation....
It's not as expensive as it is in other states, insurance hike is tied to SDIP points which for ANY speeding violation are the same in MA.

Probation is not an option in MA anyhow (and is only an option if you are found guilty in some other states), don't know where this came from...

Shay-Pari'e

RedemptionMan said:
He knew you broke the law a mile back, but he was seeing if maybe he could get you to do something else that he could site you for. Like what? An accident involving another car? Is that what the cop was waiting for? How dare you state this on a legal forum?

Maybe, just maybe, it took the cop a mile to get him pulled over??????? :rolleyes:
A 34 mph over ticket is going to be expensive.. pay it and if you have no current tickets on your record ask for probation....

Probation? You are an idiot, and you need banned from this forum.

zippysgoddess

Paridise, JET was working on that, but "you know who" is on vacation, or something right now, so we are stuck at the moment.

Shay-Pari'e

zippysgoddess said:
Paridise, JET was working on that, but "you know who" is on vacation, or something right now, so we are stuck at the moment.
Poor lady, I know she banned Kelly again today. That was good news. I'll leave it up to Jetx, for this guy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">