• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my options here? I do not want to go to jail.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xcalibrain

Missouri

I got a ticket for avoiding a red light (I drove over the parking lot next to the light instead, not seeing the cop sitting in the opposite lane). This was back in June/July. The cop and the ticket both said to call a number printed on the ticket to get my ticket amount and time/date to pay it in 7 to 10 days. I waited 7 to 10 days and called. The ticket was not on file (so she told me), and I was told to call back in a week or so. I called back, still no ticket. I was told to call several different police departments in St. Louis County because my ticket number "sounded weird" and no one really could tell where it came from (I had also provided several of these operators with the exact location of the incident). I made calls for the next two weeks, but to no avail. By then almost 2 to 3 months had passed since I'd gotten the ticket. Being naive and thinking the officer had done me a solid and not filed the ticket, I simply stopped calling. Lo and behold about 3 weeks after my last call I received a notice in the mail informing me that a warrant was out for my arrest (I received the notice a month and a half ago; two months ago I did not have a job due to a lay-off, so paying off a ticket was last on my priority list).

My questions are as follows: What are my options now? How do you suppose I go about finding out where/how much my ticket is without getting arrested in the process? Is there away for me to pay this ticket off (I have a very nice job now) and simply be done with it? Do I have to go to court? Do I need a lawyer? Help. Thanks.

sukharev

You are correct, you can just pay the ticket, then ask the court how they withdraw the warrant. Next time, read the fine print on the ticket - they don't have to see you in court to find you guilty :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">