• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this in violation of Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrogre

What is the name of your state? IA

Is this in violation of Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act. A local prepared food place prints up receipts and I noticed that my full credit card number was written up upon it. I asked why the entire number was on it, and was told don't worry our employees are trustworthy. My receipt also had full number on it.

Is this legal, and what can I do if this isn't? I have my receipt as proof and I'm sure others do, and I don't mind even shooting for an opinion in local newspaper if I must. This seems just wrong.

CdwJava

I wouldn't use my credit card there in the future. If you are worried about the employees, frankly they can get the number whether it is on a receipt or not.

It may well be a violation of the "Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act", but, you will either have to hire an attorney to pursue them or simply file a complaint with the FTC:

FTC Complaint Form

In the meantime, stop using your card there.

- Carl

mrogre

"I wouldn't use my credit card there in the future. If you are worried about the employees, frankly they can get the number whether it is on a receipt or not."

I don't fear the employees as much as the receipts I discard. Look at the trashbin near an ATM machine and you'll see how easy having the debit cards number on the receipts would lead to identity theft. This is more of a problem for others, as I personally will look over my transactions on internet religiously.

In the meantime, stop using your card there.
I concur :)

Thankyou for link as I will submit one.

Anyone know if this is illegal?

CdwJava

mrogre said:
I don't fear the employees as much as the receipts I discard.
Yes, there are people who go fishing through dumpsters for numbers like this. But at this time of year you are statistically more likely to have your number pilfered by an employee than by a dumpster diver.

Anyone know if this is illegal?
It is apparently a violation of the "Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act", but what penalty that contains, I couldn't tell you.

- Carl

mrogre

I don't fear the employees as much as the receipts I discard.
Yes, there are people who go fishing through dumpsters for numbers like this. But at this time of year you are statistically more likely to have your number pilfered by an employee than by a dumpster diver.

Makes it easy for that employee to have a merchant copy of the number. I really don't know the statistic for either way but it just seems common sense to remove the card number from receipts. Getting rid of the garbage pilferers is always nice too.

I just wanted to know, because I'm considering an article and fear a libel claim! But, I'll just stick with the FTC complaint because I'm to lazy to type an article right now.

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">