• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fake ID - statue of limitation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

the16man

Coming from Virginia - I have a question regarding how long a bar can wait before they're no longer able to report someone for using a fake ID.

A close friend and I recently returned to a bar out of which she'd been kicked 3 or 4 months ago for using a fake ID. The ID is allegedly still in the possession of one of the bar employees. At the time the ID was confiscated, she was only 20, but she has since turned 21, so we were both legally allowed to be in the bar this time.
One of the bar employees holds a very deep grudge against my friend for reasons unknown to me, and at the end of the night this employee essentially assaulted my friend - forcefully taking the drink from her hand and verbally abusing her without any cause or reason, both of which (the actions and the lack of reasons for the actions) can be backed by several witnesses. When I tried to speak with the manager, he avoided eye contact and refused to listen to anything I had to say.
Realizing now that the drink that was taken was on my tab, I am considering disputing my bill on the grounds that I was unfairly restricted from getting what I paid for. My question comes from my friend's fear that the bar, knowing I had purchased drinks for her on my tab, will try to make me regret my decision by reporting her past indiscretion to the authorities now.

Is her fear rational? Is there a time limit for a bar to report a fake ID, especially if they do still have the fake? Can the fact that she is 21 now be used to defuse the situation in any way?

On a slightly related note, is it legal for a bar to charge you gratuity on a tab left open at the end of the night, whether or not they have it posted that they will?

Thanks for any help,
JP

seniorjudge

the16man said:
Coming from Virginia - I have a question regarding how long a bar can wait before they're no longer able to report someone for using a fake ID.

A close friend and I recently returned to a bar out of which she'd been kicked 3 or 4 months ago for using a fake ID. The ID is allegedly still in the possession of one of the bar employees. At the time the ID was confiscated, she was only 20, but she has since turned 21, so we were both legally allowed to be in the bar this time.
One of the bar employees holds a very deep grudge against my friend for reasons unknown to me, and at the end of the night this employee essentially assaulted my friend - forcefully taking the drink from her hand and verbally abusing her without any cause or reason, both of which (the actions and the lack of reasons for the actions) can be backed by several witnesses. When I tried to speak with the manager, he avoided eye contact and refused to listen to anything I had to say.
Realizing now that the drink that was taken was on my tab, I am considering disputing my bill on the grounds that I was unfairly restricted from getting what I paid for. My question comes from my friend's fear that the bar, knowing I had purchased drinks for her on my tab, will try to make me regret my decision by reporting her past indiscretion to the authorities now.

Is her fear rational? Is there a time limit for a bar to report a fake ID, especially if they do still have the fake? Can the fact that she is 21 now be used to defuse the situation in any way?

On a slightly related note, is it legal for a bar to charge you gratuity on a tab left open at the end of the night, whether or not they have it posted that they will?

Thanks for any help,
JP

Generally, prosecutors do not like to get into the middle of drunken brawls, so I'd say stay away from that place and get your dope somewhere else.

You should be okay....

the16man

So, then, the issue of the fake ID could still be used? And accordingly, non-action would be the best action now?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">