• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

WA ticket help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

phildman14

For all you law guys I could use your help. I live in WA, goto EWU, eastern washington university, and was pulled over by a EWU police officer. Its all snowy here, slick on the roads, and im driving my friends 91 geo thing. Im coming upto a 4way stop right infront of my dorm and feel crazy so i, at about 10 mph, pull the ebrake and 180 in the intersection, let ppl out, and proceed to find a parking space, which was a left had i stopped at the sign. The cop was coming from my original left and flipped a bitch behind me and pulled me over. I didnt have my wallet but my buddy gave him his license and reg. I got cited for RCW 46.61.190 failure to stop at a stopsign, $101 and RCW 46.20.017, No license on person, $101. I dont especially want another ticket on my record, nor would i like to pay for it. I looked online and found RCW 46.61.245, Drivers to exercise care, which begins with "Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this chapter" meaning its more important than all lower number codes, i think, and it just states not to hit pedestrians. So could i say that someone was in the road, causing me to swerve and lock my wheels and 180 into the intersection and therefore am not guilty of illegally violating my original citation as I followed the superior one? And is there anything i can do about the failure to produce ID immeaditely? Thanks guys!

zippysgoddess

Nice try, but when it goes to court it will be you, against that officer, and who do you think they will believe? The person in a position of authority? Or an idiotic college student with prior violations?

And what on earth excuse could you come up with for not having your license on you? Every licensed drive on earth knows you are required to have it with you when you drive, geez.

How about you just quit hotrodding it to try to impress your buds, and just drive safely?

phildman14

Ok well doing a 10 mph 180 in the snow at 2am in a big open deserted intersection with NO one around in a city of 10k ppl is hardly hotrodding IMO. And calling someone in college whos there paying his own way to get an education idiotic kind of goes against what Im here for. But w/e it happened and now I need help, maybe from someone who isnt mad theyre old now. Just to clarify, when i said i gave the cop my friends lic and reg i meant reg and insurance. This was probably the one day out of the past 4 years I didnt have my license, and only because I switched to my snow pants as i was sledding earlier that night. Hardly an offense. My friend just didnt want to drive the way back and had asked me to. The cop said he was letting me off easy cuz I could have gotten negligent driving, which is annoying after my friend did donuts in a parking lot for 45 min the a different cop just said to leave. Anyone else got some ideas? Thanks

zippysgoddess

It is still not safe, appropriate, or acceptable driving, and yes, when you do that, it is acting idiotic. One thing you will learn with age is NEVER do that kind of stuff right out in the open where people can see you easily. When you are older, you will learn to at least do it, and not get caught!

BelizeBreeze

phildman14 said:
For all you law guys I could use your help. I live in WA, goto EWU, eastern washington university, and was pulled over by a EWU police officer. Its all snowy here, slick on the roads, and im driving my friends 91 geo thing. Im coming upto a 4way stop right infront of my dorm and feel crazy so i, at about 10 mph, pull the ebrake and 180 in the intersection, let ppl out, and proceed to find a parking space, which was a left had i stopped at the sign. The cop was coming from my original left and flipped a bitch behind me and pulled me over. I didnt have my wallet but my buddy gave him his license and reg. I got cited for RCW 46.61.190 failure to stop at a stopsign, $101 and RCW 46.20.017, No license on person, $101. I dont especially want another ticket on my record, nor would i like to pay for it. I looked online and found RCW 46.61.245, Drivers to exercise care, which begins with "Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this chapter" meaning its more important than all lower number codes, i think, and it just states not to hit pedestrians. So could i say that someone was in the road, causing me to swerve and lock my wheels and 180 into the intersection and therefore am not guilty of illegally violating my original citation as I followed the superior one? And is there anything i can do about the failure to produce ID immeaditely? Thanks guys!
Pay the fines or present whatever lame excuse you have to the judge.

phildman14 said:
Hardly an offense.
Tell this quote to the judge. See if he thinks it's "hardly an offense".

phildman14 said:
The cop said he was letting me off easy cuz I could have gotten negligent driving, which is annoying after my friend did donuts in a parking lot for 45 min the a different cop just said to leave. Anyone else got some ideas? Thanks
Parking lot vs. public road..... you do the math.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">