• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family Manager

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Downsja

What is the name of your state? CA
Recently my brother-in-law was hired as my manager. We have both been working at the same Big 4 Accounting firm, however in separate offices. The manager position at my office became available and I was told he was going to apply. I felt the only way to try to stop this was to apply myself, although I didn't want the position. It was given to him. When I was told he would be given the position, I went to the next manager up and her manager as well. I explained I was extremely uncomfortable with him as my manager and was told "him not getting the job is not an option". After my insistance that something be done, I was told at the time I would report to the manager above him to solve the problem. In the 2 months since he took the position, I have been told several times that other employees were told to report to him with issues concerning myself. For example, if I was out for the day, or if someone needed something relating to my workload, I would contact my assistant or the next higher manager (as I was instructed). My assistant is being told by the higher manager to contact my brother-in-law, not her. This has caused great tension for me in the office (his way of dealing with me being uncomfortable is to ignore me) as well as with my family. I recently found out he mentioned to someone he knew he would be getting the position before it was decided (although that is heresay). Do I have any legal recourse?

Gadfly

Option 1: learn to work with your brother in law

Option 2: There are three remaining big 4 companies. Go to work for one of them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">