• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nigerian scam

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Piano1030

What is the name of your state? Florida

My mother was scammed by a man on the internet. This is what happened.
They met on an internet dating site, they talked for a few months and then he sent her a check of 16000. she deposited against my better judgement.
The bank told her they would hold it for a month to see if it would go through. a few days ago it was a month and the bank told her the check was avaible to her as a courtesy. She spent 8000. of it 2500 being sent to the man in Nigeria and three days later the check bounced. Now the bank says she has 60 days to pay back at least 5500 of it. and finance the rest.
What are her rights and where should she go from here?

Thank you,
Sincerely
Nicole

Kane

I don't know what rights you mean, exactly. She hasn't been charged with any crime, that i can tell from your post.

If she didn't know the check was forged, she didn't commit a crime. But she's walking a fine line. Almost everybody who cashes forged checks says they didn't know. If she does get charged with a crime, she should contact a criminal defense attorney immediately.

As for whether they could get a judgment against her in civil court (if she doesn't pay) - I don't know. Someone in one of the civil forums might know the answer.

zippysgoddess

She fell for a very, very common scam, this is happening to people all the time now. They can, and will, hold her responsible for repaying all the money to the bank. At least she didn't spend all of it at once, so the bank was able to recover some money, but she has to repay the rest of it.

And yes, is she doesn't pay they can sue her for the money.

HomeGuru

Piano1030 said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

My mother was scammed by a man on the internet. This is what happened.
They met on an internet dating site, they talked for a few months and then he sent her a check of 16000. she deposited against my better judgement.
The bank told her they would hold it for a month to see if it would go through. a few days ago it was a month and the bank told her the check was avaible to her as a courtesy. She spent 8000. of it 2500 being sent to the man in Nigeria and three days later the check bounced. Now the bank says she has 60 days to pay back at least 5500 of it. and finance the rest.
What are her rights and where should she go from here?

Thank you,
Sincerely
Nicole
**A: she has the right to pay the money back.

Piano1030

What recourse does she have with the bank? They made available to her monies from this check after a month of holding it. As soon as she starting using it, they bounced it.

HomeGuru

Piano1030 said:
What recourse does she have with the bank? They made available to her monies from this check after a month of holding it. As soon as she starting using it, they bounced it.

**A: hello, have you not been reading the responses thus far? Do you understand English?
Ok, read this slowly: The bank is not at fault?

Piano1030

No need for your nasty grams. My Mother is in serious trouble. Questions are what we are supposed to be asking right now.
Thanks to you that have answered genuinely.. No thanks to Homeguru for your smart ass replies.

HomeGuru

Piano1030 said:
No need for your nasty grams.

**A: that wasn't nasty. If you want nasty, show up in court during one of my cases.

My Mother is in serious trouble.

**A: yes we know that. But the trouble is through all fault of her own.
Questions are what we are supposed to be asking right now.
Thanks to you that have answered genuinely.. No thanks to Homeguru for your smart ass replies.

**A: you're very welcome.

Piano1030

Yeah I bet things do get nasty in court with you as the attorney. Also something to be proud of.

I'm done with this useless ego-mania.

Best of luck to you in your future posts.
Take Care.

HomeGuru

Piano1030 said:
You've posted 60,000 non-useful replies.. Now's there's something to be proud of! Wooohooo!
Congrats!!

**A: wow, thanks for leting me know. How the heck did I put up with all those 32,567 idiots.

HomeGuru

Piano1030 said:
Yeah I bet things do get nasty in court with you as the attorney. Also something to be proud of.

I'm done with this useless ego-mania.

Best of luck to you in your future posts.
Take Care.

**A: and best of luck to your Mom. Boy does she really need it.

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

Piano1030 said:
You've posted 60,000 non-useful replies.. Now's there's something to be proud of! Wooohooo!
Congrats!!
Criminals always seem to have the same response.

Is there a criminal reply repository on the internet I don't know about?

Piano1030

You must be one busy attorney!
And the grammar part of it must not be something you have to worry about in those nasty cases.

Bye bye now.

HomeGuru

Piano1030 said:
You must be one busy attorney!
And the grammar part of it must not be something you have to worry about in those nasty cases.

Bye bye now.

**A: you spent some of that $5500 money too. So backpedal and blame the bank. Go ahead. You'll soon find out what the law is like.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">