• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ticket for 102mph, but cars governor stops at 94? can I beat this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ericthelight

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I was coming home from work and saw some lights in my rear view.

The police man came up and said get out of the car, put your hands on my hood. He said I was going over 40 mph over the speed limit and it was the same level of a crime as a DUI and I could go to jail. He then cuffed me and searched me and my car. Everything was clean, so he uncuffed me and let me go back to my car.

When he came back with the ticket I asked him how fast I was going, he said when he clocked me I was going 94 and by the time he got up to me I was going 102. I told him that was funny because my car only goes up to 94 and has a governor from the factory that does not allow it to go faster. He said "well....my gun is calibrated"

When I arrived home I noticed the ticket says "speeding 40 or more over the posted speed limit (102 in a 55 mph zone)" also says "paced .5 mile equadraint(radar verified)"

1. shouldn't the ticket be written for the amount I was clocked for...94mph

2. my 1998 gmc truck does not go up to 102 mph, it is impossible. The governor kicks in at 94 mph and even if you floor it, will not go faster.

3. if they say fine, but you are still speeding at 94, which they can't prove, but if they say that, should my crime or fine be less because this is not over 40 mph over the speed limit

4. I think I have enough evidence that I do not need a lawyer, what should I do exactly?

5. Is it legal for him not to accept my bond card? Isn't that what they are for?

--- Also, he said he did not write down a court date and they will mail me the date, but my address on my id and ticket is not the same as my current address, he took down my current address on a seperate piece and said they will mail the date to me there.

Then, when I read the ticket and envelope, it says if you want to plead not guilty, mail in the blue copy within 10 days. What do I do, mail in the copy or wait for the date to come in the mail?

Thanks for your help and understanding,

Eric

Last edited:

Not much difference between 94 and 102 as far as the law is concerned. Arguing this point will cause you even more problems since it indicates you have not accepted responsibility.

You are in very serious trouble, see a lawyer as soon as possible to minimize the damage. You can't afford not to have one.

Do not handle this yourself unless you can risk suspension of your licence and massive insurance increases.

I don't know Illinois but in some states for a 90+ in a 55 you would also be risking jail time and a criminal (misdemeanor) record.

kzt

Call yourself lucky!

[FONT=]times new roman[/FONT]

You are very lucky. My 16 year old is currently facing charges of either reckless driving or deadly conduct for allegedly driving 107 in a 55 (in TX). She has no memory of the accident and is lucky to be alive. Currently it's up in the air as to whether she will be charged as a juvenile or certified as an adult . . . and she has no previous record. We would prefer to be dealing with a speeding ticket!

kzt said:
[FONT=]times new roman[/FONT]

You are very lucky. My 16 year old is currently facing charges of either reckless driving or deadly conduct for allegedly driving 107 in a 55 (in TX). She has no memory of the accident and is lucky to be alive. Currently it's up in the air as to whether she will be charged as a juvenile or certified as an adult . . . and she has no previous record. We would prefer to be dealing with a speeding ticket!
What does your daughter in TX have to do with the OP's question?

kzt

The obvious! His speed was well over the speed limit and could have gotten him a class B instead of a class C. Obviously, the police officer let him off light. If he pays the ticket, they can't come back and charge him with reckless driving due to "double jeopardy."

sukharev

kzt said:
The obvious! His speed was well over the speed limit and could have gotten him a class B instead of a class C. Obviously, the police officer let him off light. If he pays the ticket, they can't come back and charge him with reckless driving due to "double jeopardy."
Come on! He has not even realized how stupid he was driving at 100 MPH, maxing out on his "governor" :D

Where is the self-proclaimed moral authority when you need them...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">