• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

84 in a 55...pleaded not guilty NEED HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

s next2 the a

What is the name of your state? pennsylvania

got a speeding ticket on a highway doing 84 in a 55
my first offense...should i plead not guilty and fight it
i have been told most of the time the number of points will get dropped or reduced ...can anyone tell me the number of points i will recieve and is it likely they will get lowered or dropped?

do i have any options here?

Last edited:

s next2 the a

is there any traffic school or something i can opt like a bigger fine to take instead of recieving the points...i am ok with paying the fine...the points are just what i am worried about...my court date is on tuesday

HomeGuru

s next2 the a said:
What is the name of your state? pennsylvania

got a speeding ticket on a highway doing 84 in a 55
my first offense...should i plead not guilty and fight it
i have been told most of the time the number of points will get dropped or reduced ...can anyone tell me the number of points i will recieve and is it likely they will get lowered or dropped?

**A: how fast were you actually going?

s next2 the a

84 was my actual speed he had me on radar i am just somewhow trying to avoid the points...one of my friends had a 45 in a 25 and he said they gave him the option to go to a traffic school downtown and had te points erased on only paid 25$ on the fine...i just need to know if i can opt out of points theres no way i can afford the insurance i am supporting myself working my way through school this will just kill me

Last edited:
29 over is worth 5 points. 1 more and you would have an admin hearing. You mentioned radar and if it actually was then it was PA state police. They don't seem as eager to negotiate as the locals. I have had 2 state tickets dropped and negotiated a local to less points in the past 2 years.

Case law regarding radar in PA is pretty plentiful and the hoops that must be jumped through to make a radar ticket stick are also plentiful.

Good luck.

sukharev

1) find out how 55 mph was established (traffic survey, local ordinance, whatever). Default should be 65.

2) If it was indeed radar, not laser, request discovery of everything on earth related (look up on the web what's needed), then read options for defending yourself

3) if it's not far from you, go to court before your date, see how many officers show up and what kind of breaks people get - this may help you to decide if you want to negotiate or just go to trial

sukharev

s next2 the a said:
does it matter how 55 was established?
Yes, it does. Google MUTCD. If traffic survey was not used, then speed limit below default of 65 on a public highway is illegal.

sukharev

s next2 the a said:
any idea how this will reflect on my insurance...ie payments?
Call insurance, find out. Don't be afraid, they will only jack up the premium after the points are assessed, and there is no way to avoid it anyhow.

JETX

s next2 the a said:
should i plead not guilty and fight it
Yep, first thing you need to do is to ignore all those idiots who offer 'magic wand' defenses, such as speed validation, etc. They are full of crap.

So, with them out of the way, the REAL answer to your question is:
It depends. What defense do you have against the citation??
If you have a valid defense to the citation being issued, by all means, fight it.
However, if you were in fact doing 84 mph in a 55 mph zone, then you need to step up and accept the consequences of your actions

Yep. Guilty or not. If guilty, then try to minimize the damage by seeing if the court will accept an alternative sentence, such as 'traffic school', deferred adjudication, reduced points or similar.

sukharev

Jet, you are being an idiot this time, talking about traffic school - no such thing as traffic school in PA to get out of speeding charge

s next2 the a

are you sure?...my friend said he was sent downtown took a test of some sort and had the points dropped...and do you know where i go on this site to find that information ...its a little hard to navigate

Last edited:

sukharev

What I was talking about is an option in some states to ask a judge for "alternative sentence", that is to take a traffic school, so that the ticket disappears from your record. What you heared is probably a school that you can take at any time to reduce your points. Google that, and you will likely find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">