• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dadadasong

What is the name of your state? Ak

I committed the crime in hawaii, me and a friend went to a kta store in kailua-kona and pocketed less than $5 in items, I have never been arrested before or since, this took place when I was 19 and I am now 21. I never saw the inside of a jail cell cause i posted bail immediately, went to court, paid my fees, passed the shoplifting booklet with a 100% and couldn't leave the state for the time I was on probation. I pleaded guilty because I was told it would cause less hassle and I couldn't afford anything at the time period so, I just let it go. I was curious about getting this expunged from my record, is it possible? What process should I take in order to go about something like this, if there is anything I can do at all?

seniorjudge

dadadasong said:

I committed the crime in hawaii, me and a friend went to a kta store in kailua-kona and pocketed less than $5 in items, I have never been arrested before or since, this took place when I was 19 and I am now 21. I never saw the inside of a jail cell cause i posted bail immediately, went to court, paid my fees, passed the shoplifting booklet with a 100% and couldn't leave the state for the time I was on probation. I pleaded guilty because I was told it would cause less hassle and I couldn't afford anything at the time period so, I just let it go. I was curious about getting this expunged from my record, is it possible? What process should I take in order to go about something like this, if there is anything I can do at all?
Expungement/pardon

There are several thousand questions on this forum similar to yours. Thus, I have prepared a standard answer.

Standard answer: Expungement is generally granted for illegal arrests or unlawful convictions. Generally, pardons mean you are forgiven for the crime but it remains on your record.

Check with the governor or attorney general of your state to see how you can go about either of these procedures. Check with the Attorney General or the President for federal expungement or pardon.

You must remember that there may be private background check companies that have past offenses on their databases; those reports will never be expunged.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=848776#post848776

Stand by...others may offer more advice.

Happy Trails

dadadasong said:

Go here to see if you are eligible:
http://www.uslegalforms.com/lawdigest/expungement-criminal-records-law.php/HI/HI-EXP.htm

guidanceneeded

Just curious

I am a therapist and some clients have shoplifted and only had to pay back the store. No arrest or charges.
How come they arrested with less than $5.oo of merchandise? Is it up to each store or is it by state laws?
I have lived in MD and PA and never heard of someone getting a record for petty theft.

seniorjudge

guidanceneeded said:
I am a therapist and some clients have shoplifted and only had to pay back the store. No arrest or charges.
How come they arrested with less than $5.oo of merchandise? Is it up to each store or is it by state laws?
I have lived in MD and PA and never heard of someone getting a record for petty theft.
I guess you must have really law-abiding customers.

Happy Trails

guidanceneeded said:
Some stores will make a decsion not to call the police. However, the store will have consequences for the shoplifter. If the police aren't called into the situation, then the police wouldn't have a record of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">