• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

email trespassing?? please inform

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? IL

What are the possible penalties for someone accessing another persons email? Nothing was changed, deleted, and there were no damages caused by the other person being in there. Basically, it was a case of someone being nosy and wanting to see what was sent and received. There was no money lost, no account numbers accessed or any harm financially. Just someone looking around at what was going out and what was coming in.

seniorjudge

tygersofpantang said:

What are the possible penalties for someone accessing another persons email? Nothing was changed, deleted, and there were no damages caused by the other person being in there. Basically, it was a case of someone being nosy and wanting to see what was sent and received. There was no money lost, no account numbers accessed or any harm financially. Just someone looking around at what was going out and what was coming in.
It may be eavesdropping.

Illinois law prohibits the use of an “eavesdropping device,” which is defined as “any device capable of being used to hear or record oral conversation or intercept, retain, or transcribe electronic communications whether such conversation or electronic communication is conducted in person, by telephone, or by any other means.” The Act also prohibits disclosure of any information which an individual “knows or reasonably should know was obtained through the use of an eavesdropping device.”

The Act defines the term “electronic communications” as “any transfer of signs, signals, writing, images, sounds, data, or intelligence of any nature transmitted in whole or part by a wire, radio, pager, computer, photo electronic or photo optical system, where the sending and receiving parties intend the electronic communication to be private and the interception, recording, or transcription of the electronic communication is accomplished by a device in a surreptitious manner contrary to the provisions of this Article. Electronic communication does not include any communication from a tracking device.”

First offense may possibly be a class four felony (1 to 3 years):

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?DocName=072000050HArt.+14&ActID=1876&ChapAct=720 ILCS 5/&ChapterID=53&ChapterName=CRIMINAL+OFFENSES&SectionID=60651&SeqStart=24700&SeqEnd=26000&ActName=Criminal+Code+of+1961.

BelizeBreeze

tygersofpantang said:

Where did this occur, at home or at work and by whom?

Its a complicated saga. Basically, the insecurity and mistrust were the premise for this. Checking to see if one party was sending emails to the 2nd party trying to rekindle a romance while the 2nd party was dating the 3rd party. The 3rd party was checking the 1st party's emails that were sent.

Like I mentioned, no financial loss occured, no account numbers were stolen, nothing was done maliciously. Just paranoia, and insecurity.

No excuse for wrong doing, but is this still a criminal situation? The person who was affected suffered no loss of any kind whatsoever.

seniorjudge

tygersofpantang said:
Its a complicated saga. Basically, the insecurity and mistrust were the premise for this. Checking to see if one party was sending emails to the 2nd party trying to rekindle a romance while the 2nd party was dating the 3rd party. The 3rd party was checking the 1st party's emails that were sent.

Like I mentioned, no financial loss occured, no account numbers were stolen, nothing was done maliciously. Just paranoia, and insecurity.

No excuse for wrong doing, but is this still a criminal situation? The person who was affected suffered no loss of any kind whatsoever.
Since you won't answer BB's questions, my guess is that this is a felony and you are headed for a long prison term.

Maybe.

I'm the unfortunate party of the 3rd part. I never accessed unread emails......just looked at the sent emails. Just for my own insecure piece of mind.

BelizeBreeze

tygersofpantang said:
I'm the unfortunate party of the 3rd part. I never accessed unread emails......just looked at the sent emails. Just for my own insecure piece of mind.
Listen, I am not going to continue this game. Either come back with FULL facts as to who is who and the exact circumstances, or play Perry Mason elsewhere.

I would imagine that if the 1st party knew of this situation, the password would have been changed by now. I'm confident that he is not aware of anything going on.

BelizeBreeze

tygersofpantang said:
I'm #3, my fiance is #2, and her ex boyfriend is #1
so how did the ex boyfriend gain access to the computer? One last time. Come back and detail ALL OF THE FACTS or you can forget every getting an answer.

I gained access to HIS computer by finding old printed emails that he sent to her. It had all his info on them. So I used the information to check his sent emails. I was worried that he was still communicating with her. I didn't technically "hack" anything. The info was printed on emails that she had saved from him. I just happened to find them . After not seeing anything that could be a problem, I haven't done this for awhile now.

BelizeBreeze

tygersofpantang said:
I gained access to HIS computer by finding old printed emails that he sent to her. It had all his info on them. So I used the information to check his sent emails. I was worried that he was still communicating with her. I didn't technically "hack" anything. The info was printed on emails that she had saved from him. I just happened to find them . After not seeing anything that could be a problem, I haven't done this for awhile now.
Then you are guilty of a federal crime. I would suggest you keep your hands out of other's property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">