• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

More About Bad Checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

srhgrl

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I posted asking about the statue of limitations for worthless checks. I now have some more questions, but I guess I will give my story first.

A couple of year ago I was in a VERY bad and abusive relationship. I had no place to live, no food, and was pregnant. This person convinced me to start writing bad checks, assuring me that the punishment would be no more than a "slap on the wrist". Never have been in trouble with the law before, so what did I know? He threatened my life and my family's life if I didn't do this, and nothing we ever got was for me.

Anyways, my parent's desperately wanted to get me away from him, so they got both of us arrested. The police dept had some of the checks I had written and I was originally charged with a felony and two misdemeanors. The DA asked if I would testify against the guy, and if I did, my charges would be dropped to 4 misdemeanors. I was sentenced to 1 year of probation and had to pay restitution. The judge granted expungment of my record.

Now here's my problem...2 years later, more checks are popping up. I got a court summons in the mail the other day from a different county here in Wisconsin. I will be paying the amount I owe on the checks before the court date, yet the DA's office says I still need to show up. Even though the case will be dismissed, it will still show up on my public record...after all the hard work I did to get it clean again. So does this mean if more checks pop up, I am going to keep getting things added to my record? Or can I request expungment?

I don't know what to do anymore, and I am freaking out. I am trying to move past this dark past I have, but at the moment it seems hopeless.

Any advice would help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">