• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driver License flagged

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

artimus

What is the name of your state? Georgia
I have a California license and my homestate of Georgia will not give me a license because of an accident that happened in the Commonwealth of Virginia (I had a Va. license in the military) 20 years ago. VA. DMV has it flagged. I had to call VA. and they give me a docket number , an amount of $229 to be paid, and a lawyers name. The lawyer is now a judge, but her son is in the firm. I explained my situation. He said it was probably because I didn't have car insurance when I was in a fender bender in Newport News and had to pay the $229 settlement, but he'll check. He requested all sorts of personal info to look into it (included my social security number). He said that there would be penelties involved through out the years for not paying. I remember little of the accident. I remained in Virginia for a short time then went on overseas duty. From there on to California. I have had a California license since late 1989. I have not received word, notification, or anything of that past incident until now. Any advice or recourse ?
Am I at mercy of whatever fees this lawyer wishes to impose beyond the $229 or is there a guideline ? I need to take care of business so I can get a job and take care of my mom. Thats the reason I moved back to Georgia in the first place.
Thank you for your time and patience.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">