• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

reckless driving in fairfax, VA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pomidorov

What is the name of your state? VA

Hi All,

I was stopped and given reckless driving violation for speeding 77 in 50 Mph zone
on Fairfax County Parkway. I have a clean record and have taken defensive driving class
which gave me +5 points.
Do you think I should still get a lawyer for this?

Your advise is highly appreciated.

sukharev

A lawyer may work, if he is familiar with the court.

You could try to fight it yourself, or bargain with DA for speed reduction below reckless driving threshold.

pomidorov

How's bargaining with the DA work? Does it happen during the court session, do I need
to meet him outside of the court date?
Sorry, I am not too familiar with court rules. :)

sukharev

You typically meet DA (prosecutor) on trial date right before going to court. Call particular court to find out specifics. Some courts don't do that, instead you may met the officer or nobody at all. You could try to formally request a pre-trial conference to negotiate a plea bargain. Again, it will depend on the court.

cranger

In Fairfax County, the DAs will only speak with attorneys. Sucks, but that's the way it is (and they're very hard nosed about it).

sukharev

cranger said:
In Fairfax County, the DAs will only speak with attorneys. Sucks, but that's the way it is (and they're very hard nosed about it).
Thanks, I did not know that. Well, then the only option is to hire a lawyer or to go fight it in court, as the ticket stands.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">