• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Criminal Speeding in AZ! Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

asher1

What is the name of your state? Arizona

Today I was stopped by a motorcycle cop after he clocked me at 71 in a 40(6-lane major artery w/median). He issued a Criminal citation(28-701.02) "Excessive Speed" which requires a Court appearance next week to enter a plea.

I have no prior criminal charges of any kind and one "red light" traffic offense(turning right on red!) from 2 years ago on my record.

I need advice regarding whether a so-called "Diversionary Program" will be offered to me and if not, what to plead.

I feel I have no chance at overturning the charge as it was pretty clear cut although I was driving home from the dentist and my mouth was still all numb:)

Any advice or knowledge regarding the process I will face is appreciated, especially with regards to getting into some type of diviersionary program. Thank you!

Last edited:

Does you state allow for driving tickets to stay on a record for 3 years?

probation is usually offered if you do not have any outstanding tickets on your record ---- so probably not -- especially since you where going almost twice the posted speed.....

asher1

I believe AZ does track violations over 3+ years but I can't imagine probation. "Excessive Speeding" is a Class 3 Misdemeanor which carries a max fine of $500 and technically up to 30 days in jail but from my understanding no one goes to jail or on probation in AZ for a misdemeanor of this type.

The violation is technically with the Scottsdale Police Department if that helps anyone familiar with local courts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">