• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repercussions from a DWI arrest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

briant

What is the name of your state?TX
Hi,
I am a teacher/coach at a north TX public middle school. I was arrested while in college (about 5 years ago) for DWI, but the charges were lessened and I pleaded guilty to "Criminal Mischief."

My problem is that, as a coach, I am expected to get a CDL to haul the kids to athletic events. My district, however, won't let me get one because of the arrest. I certainly understand that w/ a DWI conviction there would be a problem. Not only w/ insurance, but parents would raise hell if they knew. But I wasn't convicted of DWI, just the Criminal Mischeif.

The district knew that I had the offense when they hired me, and I don't think that I'll be fired because of it (I grew up here and know many of the administrators/teachers and I'm also a good teacher.) Just curious as to why I can't get a CDL if I was never convicted of a driving offense.

I don't even hardly drink anymore, and I certainly don't drive after even one drink. The whole thing really woke me up back when it happened. Haven't even been in a wreck or got a ticket since then.

What I am really asking is why am I being punished for a crime that I was not convicted of? Is this standard procedure?

If you could shed some light on the situation I would appreciate it.

Thank you,
Brian

Kane

It's up to the district, Bryant. If they don't want you driving the kids around, that's up to them. It could be because of a DWI arrest, that you're a bad driver, or because they just plain don't like you. I'm not trying to be rude -- I'm just trying to point out that it's in their discretion.

Btw, why do you want drive the kids around anyway? (Seems like that'd be a job you'd want to get out of.)

briant

Thanks for the reply.
I don't really think that it's that they don't like me, as the transportation director doesn't know me personally. He's the one who makes the policies and decisions regarding this matter. And I'm not really a bad driver either. Just that one problem.

I understand that this matter is up to the district's discretion. And most of the time I don't understand why they make the decisions they do anyway.

You made another good point I don't really want to drive, but sometimes I feel like I should, just because others have to (and don't want to). It also saves the athletic department money, as we don't have to "rent" a driver from transportation.

The thing that really bothers me is that I wasn't ever convicted of a driving related offense as I understand it. My insurance premium didn't go up. Didn't even have to take defensive driving.

If someone is arrested for murder, but then only convicted of writing hot checks why should the murder arrest stay on their record? Is that how it works?
Brian

justalayman

Actually the school can't stop you from getting the CDL, it's not their call although if they allow you to have need for it is obviously up to them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">